A&H

Shirt tucked in

Ref1981

How do you guys keep your shirt tucked in during matches? For me my shirt looks pretty disheveled after just few minutes in the game and i have started to consider buying one of those "shirt holders" to keep it looking good and professional (or then i should just eat more:D).

The Referee Store
Make sure the shirt is the right size and the shorts have a nice tight elastic around the waist? :p

There's a few refs that go out with a shirt one size too small, not nice to see when they have to give an indirect freekick! :wtf:

(I don't really know though!)

Certain members will remember a footballer nicknamed ‘one size’

His name was Fitzimonds Hall or Fitz Hall

Played for my beloved qpr, good old one size..

Funny thing is he was about 6ft 4in, and had the widest but skinniest frame you’ll ever see, if something fitted him then believe me it wouldn’t have fitted the rest of the male population.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys keep your shirt tucked in during matches? For me my shirt looks pretty disheveled after just few minutes in the game and i have started to consider buying one of those "shirt holders" to keep it looking good and professional (or then i should just eat more:D).

Something that I’m contious about every game, I’m about 5ft 9in with a bit of a belly, I wouldn’t say I’m fat but I do have a gutt, it doesn’t help when tucking my ref shirt into my shorts I feel like Stavros flatley or omid djalili.

I kinda pull half the shirt out to the side to try and look less rotund, put it this way for the fellas out there with a bit of gutt & not looking in the best of shape, a referee kit doesn’t help your cause much.

Never tucked my shirt into my shorts yet............any assessor that had the Billy bullocks to pass comment would have had a roasting......

I do find the Nike shirts too short - I typically walk out and manage a coin toss with it tucked in, then as soon as I wave at the GK's to check they're ready before KO, it comes untucked.

When I played footy (I was an incredibly poor standard I have to say) I always had my shirt untucked.

Since I took up refereeing, I have always had my shirt tucked in.

Glad I am not the only one... Mid 40's, 5' 11", 17 stone, not exactly fat as such, but 17 1/2 years of marriage, dodgy knees and ankle and a love of my wife's amazing cooking haven't exactly been kind to the waist line. Always have liked shirts/T-shirts etc big and baggy style rather than figure hugging style of many manufacturers and managed to acquire a couple of XXL plain black adidas shirts and matching shorts, which I find helps disguise some of the additional pounds :D

Some of us became referees for a reason. I’m sure most would still love to play, be it age, disability, knees, Greggs, or just enjoying the craic, nobody should be judging someone on their fashion preference especially at the lower levels

Last edited:
I’m with the Capn.

While I will concede that not tucking your shirt in isn’t going to have any impact on your ability as a referee, it looks taggy, and, in my opinion gives the impression that you’re not particularly bothered.

Now 12 years in the Grenadier Guards has left me with a penchant for polished shoes and ironed shirts etc.

But it’s about taking pride in your appearance, and rightly or wrongly if you turn up for a match with dirty boots, an untucked shirt etc you will come across as unprofessional, and if you don’t care enough just to tuck your shirt in then what else don’t you care about.

At the Dog and Duck level it is complete nonsense to expect PL standards, Its a hobby and not a job. As you rise the levels I'm sure it may matter to someone but its not something I would lose sleep over.

I’m with the Capn.

While I will concede that not tucking your shirt in isn’t going to have any impact on your ability as a referee, it looks taggy, and, in my opinion gives the impression that you’re not particularly bothered.

Now 12 years in the Grenadier Guards has left me with a penchant for polished shoes and ironed shirts etc.

But it’s about taking pride in your appearance, and rightly or wrongly if you turn up for a match with dirty boots, an untucked shirt etc you will come across as unprofessional, and if you don’t care enough just to tuck your shirt in then what else don’t you care about.
Having your top out of your shorts is hardly about pride in your appearance nor the heinous crime of the century. Seems its only the old guard that find the need to call it smart. I looked like a bag of **** tied in the middle if I tucked my shirt in......I promise you I have pride in my appearance that's why the shirt stays out.......

If I'm observing a level 7, 6 or 5 referee I couldn't really give a hoot whether they have their shirt tucked in or not. If I've ascertained that they have ambitions to move up in the game to senior levels then I would make an advisory suggestion that they sort it, as you will rarely if ever see an official at level 4 and above with an untucked shirt.

Rolled down socks is entirely different, if I observe a referee who does this it will be getting mentioned as that just looks incredibly unprofessional.

So to clarify, observing is about your personal fashion preferences and not to a set protocol?? Won’t bother me or Minty but I’m sure a few applicants on here would like some clarification!

So to clarify, observing is about your personal fashion preferences and not to a set protocol?? Won’t bother me or Minty but I’m sure a few applicants on here would like some clarification!
Fashion preferences? Give me a break. Looking professional is important. So yes, looking professional matters. Couldn't give a stuff about your fashion preferences - but you're wearing a uniform.

Bullocks skipper! Dress shirt, yes tuck it in, pull on top, leave it loose.
I've never seen a referee wear their shirt untucked (except for quite overweight ones who can't tuck their shirt in). As an assessor that would most definitely lose marks. It just represents the entire job poorly. And yes, that is most definitely the sort of thing people talk about - especially if they're walking away talking complaining about a perceived lack of professionalism/experience, following that up by saying the ref was a slob who couldn't even dress themselves properly does get said. I've heard it myself. That doesn't change at any level.

First impressions matter - and looking like you don't even care enough about the game to dress properly gets you off to a bad start, and reflects upon all of us.

Having your top out of your shorts is hardly about pride in your appearance nor the heinous crime of the century. Seems its only the old guard that find the need to call it smart. I looked like a bag of **** tied in the middle if I tucked my shirt in......I promise you I have pride in my appearance that's why the shirt stays out.......

Of course it isn’t the crime of the century, stop being so dramatic.

But it does show a lack of pride in ones appearance. And regardless of what some people think everybody makes their first impressions of someone based on their appearance.

Behave yourself, of course your appearance is something that an observer is going to pick up on. I wouldn’t expect to get picked up for having a beard or tattoos etc, but why give them the opportunity to pick you up for something stupid like not tucking your shirt in or having dirty boots etc?

Whether we like it or not if people want to get promoted then they need to play the game.

Also, I have never seen a referee start a game with his shirt untucked, I e seen people whose shirt have come untucked over the course of a game, but never someone going out with it untucked. Maybe people are a bit more uptight/old fashioned in Kent?

I have however seen some turn up for a match with dirty boots etc. And leaving aside those who have finished a morning game and gone straight to an afternoon game where it is understandable it doesn’t make a good impression.

Back