A&H

Shirt pull a mandatory caution ?

The Referee Store
There’s also the blatant holding concept - whether or not this is in current official guidance is not clear to me - that outrageous holding/pulling obviously to prevent a breakaway - that maybe doesn’t fulfil strict SPA criteria…

Is blatant holding still a thing?

I think we’ve had the debate on here before. There is nothing specific in the Laws that makes “blatant holding“ a cautionable offense. SPA is, in general, where a caution for a tactical foul is punished. To caution for a non-SPA fould for holding, the R would have to conclude it met the general criteria for USB. Some will argue that is making stuff up, as SPA has been defined in the magic book. I think there are very unusual cases in which the nature of the hold is sufficiently contrary to the spirit of the game that It qualifies as unspecified USB. (For those who have to put such a card in a box, it would have to go in the disrespect for the game box.)

SPA doesn't require anything egregious - a relatively innocuous careless foul can be SPA depending on the circumstances.

A blatant, shirt tearing, hold can be USB without needing to stop a promising attack

I think we’ve had the debate on here before. There is nothing specific in the Laws that makes “blatant holding“ a cautionable offense. SPA is, in general, where a caution for a tactical foul is punished. To caution for a non-SPA fould for holding, the R would have to conclude it met the general criteria for USB. Some will argue that is making stuff up, as SPA has been defined in the magic book. I think there are very unusual cases in which the nature of the hold is sufficiently contrary to the spirit of the game that It qualifies as unspecified USB. (For those who have to put such a card in a box, it would have to go in the disrespect for the game box.)
Hmm, now wondering if I put a caution through as the wrong code on Sunday. U13s - player had blatantly held back opposition player who'd won the ball off him, but deep in oppositions territory. Spoke to said player and warned him. Five minutes later virtual carbon copy so a caution. Put it through as C1 SP (pushing or pulling). Was that wrong? SPA isn't even a code on WGS?

Hmm, now wondering if I put a caution through as the wrong code on Sunday. U13s - player had blatantly held back opposition player who'd won the ball off him, but deep in oppositions territory. Spoke to said player and warned him. Five minutes later virtual carbon copy so a caution. Put it through as C1 SP (pushing or pulling). Was that wrong? SPA isn't even a code on WGS?
Nah, be fine. PULLING = shirt pull.

Thank you!

As an aside and in advance of it almost certainly occuring in one of my games, what code what you give to SPA, or does it fall under the most soitable other code (eg FT, SP etc)?
Either FT or TR usually, depending what I remember of the challenge 😂

Thank you!

As an aside and in advance of it almost certainly occuring in one of my games, what code what you give to SPA, or does it fall under the most soitable other code (eg FT, SP etc)?
Stopping Promising Attack is just a flavour of Unsporting Behaviour so is covered under the C1.

Note none of the FA codes really relate to offences listed as examples of Unsporting behaviour.

The FA code is a data gathering exercise and they aren't really interested in the specifics of what the Unsporting behaviour was but more how the Unsporting behaviour came to be.

So you are quite right in that cautions for SPA we have to select how the SPA occurred which could be a SP, TR, FT (possibly others).

Stopping Promising Attack is just a flavour of Unsporting Behaviour so is covered under the C1.

Note none of the FA codes really relate to offences listed as examples of Unsporting behaviour.

The FA code is a data gathering exercise and they aren't really interested in the specifics of what the Unsporting behaviour was but more how the Unsporting behaviour came to be.

So you are quite right in that cautions for SPA we have to select how the SPA occurred which could be a SP, TR, FT (possibly others).
Thank you James.

Shirt pulling is very much a 'depends on the circumstances' issue.
Punishment (if action taken), can range right through from simply a free kick, through YC and even a RC (e.g. if it is the means used when committing a DOGSO (S5).

Shirt pulling is very much a 'depends on the circumstances' issue.
Punishment (if action taken), can range right through from simply a free kick, through YC and even a RC (e.g. if it is the means used when committing a DOGSO (S5).
On that, lad I booked Sunday began to hold again shortly afterwards and I shouted at him to let go and he immediately did. I've always taken the view that prevention is better than cure (in this case second yellow then red). I'm due a match day coach visit at some point soon - would doing something preventative like that be an issue?

On that, lad I booked Sunday began to hold again shortly afterwards and I shouted at him to let go and he immediately did. I've always taken the view that prevention is better than cure (in this case second yellow then red). I'm due a match day coach visit at some point soon - would doing something preventative like that be an issue?
With that caveat that lots of observers/coaches will have their own personal preferences, I suspect it will be seen as a positive.

Preventative refereeing is almost always seen as a positive. And while my personal opinions is that it's easy to go overboard with that stuff, I'm more of an exception than the rule on that topic!

No ”blatant holding” is not in the LotG but has previously been coached (guidelines!) by UEFA etc.

Just like introducing new ”timewasting rules” it’s hard to follow what guidance is current.

For me, until told otherwise, I am happy to apply ”blatant holding” guidance until told otherwise!

If you are due a match day coach, then presumably you are going 7 - 6 or 6 - 5.
Sections 2 and 3 of both report forms are headed 'Application of Law' (including identification of penal / technical offences and dealing with misconduct) and 'Communication' (including using voice to communicate). Both are marked as 'Development, Expected or Performed well'.
I personally regard good verbal control and interaction as a great asset to every referee and in this case would be looking at the recognition and the verbal interaction as positives. (I agree with GraemeS).
Can't speak for all observers of course as we all have our own ways.
Stepped approach is a good guide and also consider location on pitch etc.. (My previous comment above).

Thanks @GraemeS and @Kevin0954 - really helpful. I coached/refereed youth football before switching so the comms thing whilst reffing has carried over!

Yes - 7-6. Not really interested in progressing up the pyramid as such (49) but just looking to challenge myself improve.

Thanks @GraemeS and @Kevin0954 - really helpful. I coached/refereed youth football before switching so the comms thing whilst reffing has carried over!

Yes - 7-6. Not really interested in progressing up the pyramid as such (49) but just looking to challenge myself improve.
Get to 5 and decent chance of FA appointments. That's one reason to get there.

Back