A&H

Sheffield Wednesday/Leeds Utd Disallowed goal

CiaranK

Level 6 Referee
What are your views on the reason given for the disallowed goal during this game?
The clip is here: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...lowed-due-to-sheffield-wednesday-substitution

The Referee allows play to continue "after" a substitution takes place. Turns out that the Sheffield Wednesday player was taking an age to get off the pitch and so when Leeds scored Sheffield had 12 players on the pitch.

Ref then disallowed the goal. I can't get my head round why he would start the game again when the substitution hadn't been completed. You can see that the assistant as the corner was taken was also geared up for play continuing. How did 4 officials all miss that the player going off hadn't gone off? Seems crazy.

The Referee Store
The player being replaced was milking the applause and had not left the field of play. The substitute had not entered the field of play. Sheff Wed only had 11 players on the field but play had been suspended for a properly requested substitution. When AT blew his whistle he indicated that play had restarted BUT before the procedure had been completed.

It was a very basic mistake. You can see from his face that he realises what he has done as he walks across to the technical areas. Not a good day. He also turned his head as if called by the FO, realised there was a problem but allowed the action to continue, probably in the hope that nothing would come of it.

My apologies on that Brian, I viewed it that the player had come on as I couldn't see him at the touchline still.
That is some milking of the applause though, he still had some distance to go when it all came to light.

I find myself wondering how this can happen with wireless comms. Wouldn't the 4th be in his ear the moment he blows the whistle??

Just watched an interview with Steve Evans (the Leeds manager). He claims to have seen "many substitutions" where the player was taking too long to go off so the referee changed his mind and restarted play before the player had left the field. Had anyone else seen that happen? Because I haven't.

Just watched an interview with Steve Evans (the Leeds manager). He claims to have seen "many substitutions" where the player was taking too long to go off so the referee changed his mind and restarted play before the player had left the field. Had anyone else seen that happen? Because I haven't.
managers views, and reality are very rarely the same thing

Back