A&H

Sheff Wed vs Plymouth Argyle - Offside

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting one here, see from 1 minute on. Goal initially given, but after a lengthy delay it is disallowed for Lee Gregory (Wednesday #9) interfering with the Plymouth keeper. Unfortunately, as they thought it was a goal, the replay was shown on the big screen and this has led to claims that the officials watched this before changing their decision, something that Wednesday players and coaches seem to have said that the match officials admitted to. Not sure I am buying that, and if anything I think had they watched it they would have given the goal.

My take is that the keeper had already dived and was getting nowhere near it, so I'm not really seeing any interfering. Fair play to him for appealing as pretty sure the goal would have been given. No sour grapes here by the way as it didn't affect the result, just curious to see what people think.

The Referee Store
Also shows the importance of angles, as from this view from behind the goal it looks very different to the original view and even less like an offence. (should play from about 3:50)

There looks to be zero interference...I can see why they've disallowed it, esp lino who can only advise what he's seen, but prefer it to be a goal in this situation

There looks to be zero interference...I can see why they've disallowed it, esp lino who can only advise what he's seen, but prefer it to be a goal in this situation
Yeah, that's my view as well. AR clearly stands still after the goal so isn't happy about something, and to me that says the claims that they have looked at the replay are nonsense. Once he asks for help the referee has to try and replay in his head where the players were at the time of the shot, and mistakes will happen. From the side on view there is a possible argument that Gregory was interfering, from the view behind the goal he very clearly wasn't.

Just shows how hard being a referee is. Something I am trying (unsuccessfully) to explain on the fan's forum 😂

Interesting. From the Sky Sports footage I was satisfied with the offside. It looks like the keeper can't dive into that space as the player is so close and therefore impacting the opponent ability to play the ball.
However, the view from behind the goal shows the attacker does not impact the opponents ability to play the ball in anyway. It ticks the makes an obvious action but not the impact ability to play ball. But I can see how real time the refereeing team arrived at the decision. Be interesting to see how the panel judge the KMD with the matchday footage. I'd probably expect the ref to be backed.

I've heard many a referee say to use player reaction in these cases and in my opinion this is a prime example why thats a bad idea (Guilty myself until recently).

I dont believe they've used the video. I think as rusty says the AR stands totally still, there's clearly communication between AR and ref over Comms. And that is the expectation at this level. No flag, until decision agreed. Raising of the flag increases the expectation that the goal will be disallowed. And of course I know that works the other way, but this way is better, particularly in goal given scenarios. Keeps the team strong with no obvious "over ruling" when in reality 2 people have 50% of information and need to piece the jigsaw together to arrive at the decision.

Interesting. From the Sky Sports footage I was satisfied with the offside. It looks like the keeper can't dive into that space as the player is so close and therefore impacting the opponent ability to play the ball.
However, the view from behind the goal shows the attacker does not impact the opponents ability to play the ball in anyway. It ticks the makes an obvious action but not the impact ability to play ball. But I can see how real time the refereeing team arrived at the decision. Be interesting to see how the panel judge the KMD with the matchday footage. I'd probably expect the ref to be backed.

I've heard many a referee say to use player reaction in these cases and in my opinion this is a prime example why thats a bad idea (Guilty myself until recently).

I dont believe they've used the video. I think as rusty says the AR stands totally still, there's clearly communication between AR and ref over Comms. And that is the expectation at this level. No flag, until decision agreed. Raising of the flag increases the expectation that the goal will be disallowed. And of course I know that works the other way, but this way is better, particularly in goal given scenarios. Keeps the team strong with no obvious "over ruling" when in reality 2 people have 50% of information and need to piece the jigsaw together to arrive at the decision.
Agree with that, very hard for the AR to judge but really the referee probably should be making a better call. But equally we've all been there when you have to try and recall the picture at the time of the shot and know it isn't easy

The other thing is where the scoreboard is, way down in the corner to the left of the active AR. The referee never once looks in that direction, and the AR is hardly likely to turn and stare at a screen over 100m away.

I've never heard Darren Moore bad mouth a referee (and he didn't here), but perhaps he was incorrectly told by the players.

Agree with that, very hard for the AR to judge but really the referee probably should be making a better call. But equally we've all been there when you have to try and recall the picture at the time of the shot and know it isn't easy

The other thing is where the scoreboard is, way down in the corner to the left of the active AR. The referee never once looks in that direction, and the AR is hardly likely to turn and stare at a screen over 100m away.

I've never heard Darren Moore bad mouth a referee (and he didn't here), but perhaps he was incorrectly told by the players.
It's a chougin' big screen though 🤣

It's a chougin' big screen though 🤣
With a quarter of it taken up by advertising. I've got perfect eyesight, despite what players and managers may say, and I struggle with replays from midway up the North stand. That's probably about the same distance away as the AR and referee were, and there's no way I'd be wanting to judge an offside call from that view.

With a quarter of it taken up by advertising. I've got perfect eyesight, despite what players and managers may say, and I struggle with replays from midway up the North stand. That's probably about the same distance away as the AR and referee were, and there's no way I'd be wanting to judge an offside call from that view.
Really. I used to have no issue from row 21 on the Kop 🤷‍♂️

Back