A&H

SFP after offside

I don’t watch a lot of EPL or other tier 1 football due to paywalls etc. I do watch A League because that is my local competition with some games free to view. I only note this as I haven’t seen the situation that I am referring to below in my local league.

With AR’s in these games now not signalling for offside if it is close and there is a promising attack, what happens if SFP or similar occurs after an the offside event occurs but before the AR signals for the earlier offside at the end of the play or VAR intervenes to confirm an earlier offside if a goal is also scored? Is the SFP still penalised or is it erased as it didn’t technically happen because the offside event occurred earlier even if it wasn’t signalled at the time?

I am sure there is an easy and obvious answer to this question (which I have probably over complicated - sorry) for most of you but it is something I have been wondering about lately.

The Referee Store
It would still be red card even though there was an offside. But no referee wants this situation, and that's why pre-match instructions for years have said put the flag up early if there is a chance of a collision between offside player and keeper (obviously VAR breaks this and that is a risk).

You really don't want to find yourself in a position where you are sending off a defending player and restarting the game with a defensive IDFK, it is a nightmare to manage.

Back