A&H

Serbia v England

A&H International
Caution has to come out soon. Multiple fouls around the goal area on Bellingham and Alexander-Arnold.

Edit: our posts crossed.

I can understand reluctance to go early but you have to draw the line sometime. And that sometime is now I think.

Not liking the "signals" the ref is doing for free kicks.

He is pointing to the floor where the free kick is meant to be.. but because of the stadium noise/commentary can't hear his whistle so I keep thinking he is pointing to the ball suggesting no foul. It's so confusing.
Not only is this bizarre (sometimes hard to tell which way he's giving it) but he had an odd advantage signal earlier- single arm almost straight up in the air

I thought he was absolutely fine, let a lot of physical contact go but was very consistent with it.

He's always done the pointing at the ground for free kicks, and given he retires in a couple of weeks he is hardly going to change now.

Not liking the "signals" the ref is doing for free kicks.

He is pointing to the floor where the free kick is meant to be.. but because of the stadium noise/commentary can't hear his whistle so I keep thinking he is pointing to the ball suggesting no foul. It's so confusing.

Collina did the exact same, very Italian style signalling. He won’t be changing anytime soon.

Don’t get me started on AR1 flagging while moving. Eurgh

Again, a very European way of signalling. The emphasis outside of the UK seems to be on getting the decisions correct and not the manner of giving a signal.

Again, a very European way of signalling. The emphasis outside of the UK seems to be on getting the decisions correct and not the manner of giving a signal.
I'm outside the UK. It varies from country to country. In the end, runinng while signalling looks messy, whatever your association;)
And is there anyone trained not to get decisions right!?

I thin
Collina did the exact same, very Italian style signalling. He won’t be changing anytime soon.

I think the US is very much aligned with the UK signaling.

I thought he was absolutely fine, let a lot of physical contact go but was very consistent with it.

He's always done the pointing at the ground for free kicks, and given he retires in a couple of weeks he is hardly going to change now.
I've also seen at least two other referees point to the ground like this more than a few times in their games. I'm hoping this isn't the case, but I wonder if this is something UEFA is teaching. And if it is, I'm not a fan.

Did anyone see the foul on mitrovic in the box.

I am surprised it was kept so quiet, I was expecting a bigger song and dance about it.

I am surprised it was kept so quiet, I was expecting a bigger song and dance about it.
Higher bar. Just getting his body in for me. Think there would have been greater uproar had a penalty been given although difficult for VAR to overturn if it had been given. Definitely not one to come in on.

Overall Orsato has delivered the game, a very assured and experienced performance.

Felt the touch and went down to be honest, think it was a definite case of searching for the penalty from Mitrovic.

Not a fan of the advantage signal, but could definitely get behind the performance as a whole - as could the commentary.

And a goal kick signal that looked like a corner from a Serb shot.
Don’t get me started on AR1 flagging while moving. Eurgh
Yes, the AR looked like a Club Assistant Referee

They can do what they like in Europe, but I wouldn't want to see that sloppy jogging signalling creep into our shores

FWIW, I thought both sides looked up for it, fairly sharp, very competitive and deserved credit
It wasn't great on the eye aye at times. England should be able to dominate possession and control on the game better than they did. But Pickford was rarely threatened and it was a parallel universe from that pish poor display against Iceland

Last edited:
Thought the whole team did well, would've been harsh on Serbia as a physical side to have a lower bar for physicality. I also do the point for fouls on occasion (usually if pulling back or blowing when several fouls have occured)

First half I'd argue he let a lot of fouls go, especially on Bellingham... They were clearly team fouls spread about to not get early cautions for persistent fouling. Clever play by teams but I feel refs need to catch on and caution a player, even if first foul, to stop this and say "I know what you're doing".
Bellinghams reaction to one should probably have been a caution but by that point I think he'd given up with the referee.
If it takes that to wind him up, other teams will just do the same to get a reaction, just like when Beckham and Rooney were both sent off in previous years.
Otherwise, I think he had a good game bar the signaling. I just, personally, hated it and got confused by it.

First half I'd argue he let a lot of fouls go, especially on Bellingham... They were clearly team fouls spread about to not get early cautions for persistent fouling. Clever play by teams but I feel refs need to catch on and caution a player, even if first foul, to stop this and say "I know what you're doing".
Bellinghams reaction to one should probably have been a caution but by that point I think he'd given up with the referee.
If it takes that to wind him up, other teams will just do the same to get a reaction, just like when Beckham and Rooney were both sent off in previous years.
Otherwise, I think he had a good game bar the signaling. I just, personally, hated it and got confused by it.
I'd agree. Bellingham clearly did need "protection".

Not a fan of his arrogance though (great footballer or not). He's likely to come a cropper later in the tournament if he doesn't tone that down. ...

Back