A&H

Send penalty kicker off for blood injury before or after kick for treatment?

Gave a penalty in a pre-season game today with a minute to play today. Kicker places the ball and I notice his white shirt has blood patches on it and his knee bleeding. I asked him to leave the pitch to change his shirt and sort the wound. Should I have let him take the penalty first or right to send him for treatment?

The Referee Store
Which one of these two did the blood patches look like?
1532927554859.png 1532927602552.png

And which one of these two did the knee bleed look like?

1532927785298.png 1532927876762.png

Let me throw something out there....

How many of us would delay the pk until he returned. Or would we insist that somebody else took the kick....

The game cannot be delayed for this. We would not stop a regular restart to wait so is a pk any different. I think that if he goes then then it is another kicker as he has to wait until the game restarts before he can request re entry and that can only happen at another stoppage which could be the kick off.

The game cannot be delayed for this. We would not stop a regular restart to wait so is a pk any different. I think that if he goes then then it is another kicker as he has to wait until the game restarts before he can request re entry and that can only happen at another stoppage which could be the kick off.

Am talking extreme and hypothetical. Its a relegation decider and its Matt !e Tissier , primed to take the pk for Southampton and you are saying he has to go change
Can anybody explain how they now go around forcing somebody else to take the kick?
Its not like you can demand xx takes it, or start cautioning xx for delaying the restart...

Just quote the law to the captain. Le Tissier has to go off to get the bleeding stopped, shirt changed so he cannot come back until the game has restarted and then at the next stoppage. The team has to pick a player to take the kick. If it's a standoff I would say to the captain someone has to take this kick now or I'm going home and the game is abandonded.
If I don't want to go there then don't see the blood until after the kick unless you have an opponent shouting that the kicker is bleeding and has to leave the fop!
Anyway it's not so unusual as if the regular kicker is injured on the foul, get treatment with no card he has to go off. He cannot return to take the kick.

One
That's correct if you have the luxury of a 4th official. Without a 4th there is no way this can be done except at a stoppage Maybe with an AR who is in front of the TA who can do a quick check over yet that is not going to work all the time.

Consistent with Sheff's post, I'm not going to forensically notice small drops of blood until after the kick has been taken, unless the opposition notice it first and make an issue of it. Even then, without interrogating the rule book, I'm inclined to allow the shirt to be changed quickly by the taker
Spirit of the Game etc etc

Probably not to popular opinion, but I’m not spotting the blood until it’s taken unless someone points it out

That's not an unpopular opinion, but a wise one. Some situations are very difficult to handle, even when trying to follow the LOTG. If an observer was watching and you made the player take the penalty, even with blood on his knee (if you haven't noticed it, or didn't want to), he will never give you a remark.

Either, when you do spot the blood, you place yourself in a difficult situation which could have been prevented. Part of our duty is also to sometimes "not see" things in order for the game to have a healthy flow.

Spots on the shirt a few more than the picture but the knee is not far off.
Spots on the shirt, one minute to go as a player is going to take a penalty, a non-issue.
Knee bleeding like 'not far off' the image, again one minute to go as a player is going to take a penalty, if no one else is making a fuss of it, I wont make a fuss either but if you choose to take him off I don't have an issue with it either. However if this was in my game (or as an assessor) I'd be asking myself the question how did this player manage to get to this stage without me noticing it before? A knee bleeding that badly and blood all over it should have been noticed much earlier which would have prevented this difficult situation.

A knee bleeding that badly and blood all over it should have been noticed much earlier which would have prevented this difficult situation.
If you have NAR's it's the sort of thing they need to look for - but it's always possible that play hasn't come near that player for a few minutes, since his last tackle.

Just quote the law to the captain. Le Tissier has to go off to get the bleeding stopped, shirt changed so he cannot come back until the game has restarted and then at the next stoppage.
Says who?

Probably not to popular opinion, but I’m not spotting the blood until it’s taken unless someone points it out

Agreed.

He has to correct it prior to the kick and the game is not to be delayed gratuitously. That's assuming you notice it. Which you might not.

Back