A&H

Semi's / Finals

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
When appointed to a semi or a final, how much do you let the fact that it is such a game, influence how you run the game??

I have been appointed to a semi - final middle, with two NAR (First time I have ever had any AR's!!!), the prize for the winning team is a place in the final at the local football league ground.

How much do you try and manage the players/occasion? When I use the term 'manage' I do not mean show a blatant disregard for the laws and allow players to get away with murder just because it is a semi final with some significance.

I still can't believe as a level 7, in only my 2nd full season, I have been given the appointment, as my two assistants are level 5's and the referee on the other semi final is a level 4!

The Referee Store
Well done on your appointment, referee the game the way you have every game you have ever done. Sir Alex Ferguson used to tell his players to play the match not the occasion, ie. treat as a normal game and don't let the fact that it is a big game effect you!!

Agree with @Cheshire Ref completely. Just because it is a semi-final, don't be afraid to show a card or two if needed. However, make sure that you don't get to hooked onto the occasion, it could cause you to make mistakes. Enjoy it though. Well done on getting the game!

The only issue I see with getting hooked on the occasion is IF you make a mistake because you'll overthink it during the game and miss the next big decision. I always find my best games seem to be the bigger games which is probably a happy coincidence or maybe the occasion makes me up my game. I guess it's personal to each referees mentality.

Well I had my cup final yesterday and ended up having 3 cautions so just think how players going to be in first 10 minutes then if there going to play football then let them if there going to give silly free kicks give them if there going to kick two sh**s out each other then do them

You've obviosuly got it due to your match day protocol, control of the game and application of LOTG, so for you - do nothing differently.

Personally - ziltch difference. A game is a game and the laws are the laws first round or final.

When appointed to a semi or a final, how much do you let the fact that it is such a game, influence how you run the game??

I have been appointed to a semi - final middle, with two NAR (First time I have ever had any AR's!!!), the prize for the winning team is a place in the final at the local football league ground.

How much do you try and manage the players/occasion? When I use the term 'manage' I do not mean show a blatant disregard for the laws and allow players to get away with murder just because it is a semi final with some significance.

I still can't believe as a level 7, in only my 2nd full season, I have been given the appointment, as my two assistants are level 5's and the referee on the other semi final is a level 4!

Congratulations mate. And don't do yourself dis-service, you've earn it on merit!

The only thing I would say is make the possibility of mass confrontation slightly higher on your radar, and do everything you can to reduce the spark that ignites it at every opportunity.

Semis are full of adrenaline and passion which makes M/C more likely, particularly towards the end if it's clear which team will win - frustration from players can only add fuel to that fire.

As others have said, approach as any other game.

The only advice is to be on top of dissent to your NAR's. The clubs won't normally have them and will complain to you about offsides,as they would to CAR's.

Use your NAR's to help you.

Back