A&H

Semi Final

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
I had the pleasure of being AR for a cup semi final this weekend. However, one instruction I am often given is regarding gk kicking from hands and usually consists of "if no one appeals for it have a quiet word and try to manage it". Now I know this is goes against the Laws of the game as really an offence is an offence regardless of where the ball is but on this occassion, blues v reds. Blue GK sends ball down field and the phase of play ends in a gk for the reds.

The opposite AR had his flag in the air, so referee goes over and awards a freekick, within a few moments a blue players is shown a red card

I checked at half time and the fk was for deliberate handball by the GK outside the area and the RC was for OFFINABUS.

Its worth noting that I wasn't given any specific instructions by the referee and he was correct on both occasions but is this one of those "game management" moments where keeping the flag down and having a word with the gk would have been better?

The Referee Store
I would suggest unless it is totally blatant and you are 100% he was outside the box before releasing the ball....a quick keeper watch the line shout would suffice....second time flag up and lesson learned!

of course i imply this was the first time the GK had been "out of the area" but for all I know it could have been 2/3 time

This falls into the category of delivering what is expected. If it's borderline, the first time it has happened and absolutely nobody is appealing, then I wouldn't want an AR to be flagging for it as it'll likely torpedo my match control.

Quick word to the left back to tell his keeper to watch the line on his kicks and then if he doesn't correct you can flag for it in the future.

yesterday i had a situation with a keeper that i didnt really know what to do about but spectators were shouting that he was taking drop kicks from outside the area.
i ignored the first 2, thinking that, like a lot of keepers, he may be dropping the ball from the line and taking the actual kick outside, which obviously isnt handball.
However, next time the ball went out i spoke to the keeper and asked him to make sure that he took the actual kick from inside the PA, just to make things easier for all concerned really... as i couldnt ask the CAR to call those for me, and i couldnt stand in line with him to observe it myself.
Fortunately he was compliant, but had he not have been, what would / could i have done ?

yesterday i had a situation with a keeper that i didnt really know what to do about but spectators were shouting that he was taking drop kicks from outside the area.
i ignored the first 2, thinking that, like a lot of keepers, he may be dropping the ball from the line and taking the actual kick outside, which obviously isnt handball.
However, next time the ball went out i spoke to the keeper and asked him to make sure that he took the actual kick from inside the PA, just to make things easier for all concerned really... as i couldnt ask the CAR to call those for me, and i couldnt stand in line with him to observe it myself.
Fortunately he was compliant, but had he not have been, what would / could i have done ?

If you go wider on the field then you'll be able to stand midway in the half and have a good idea whether he is inside or outside the area. Quick sprint while the ball is in the air and you'll be in position for the drop zone.

Sounds like you managed it fairly well though.

ok, yup that sounds reasonable @UKColt . cheers .

after the second shout (obviously i cant take the spectators word for it ) i thought that i cant just continue to ignore it. Fortunately for me the keeper was compliant.
i suppose for the sake of 15-20 yards sprint its no real bother to take up a different starting position. In fact yesterday the wind was so swirling i was having to chase around to adjust from pretty much all kicks anyways !

Yeah, I had very similar recently, the other team was going mad about it. Agreed to have a word with the keeper at half time, did so to warn him that I was going to watch the next few and then it became fairly clear that he was just throwing it forward a really long way before kicking. The fact I'd taken the time out to keep an eye on it seemed to calm the other team down once I explained what I was seeing.

There are several problems with this. Firstly, unless you have buzzer flags or comms the referee is highly unlikely to see the flag as they just won't be expecting it. Secondly no-one is really expecting it, and thirdly it is very difficult to be sure that it was handled outside (remember Pepe Reina and Andy Halliday, his pre-match instructions following that went along the lines of don't be a **** like me and flag for the keeper carrying it out on a drop kick ..!).

I would suggest unless it is totally blatant and you are 100% he was outside the box before releasing the ball....a quick keeper watch the line shout would suffice....second time flag up and lesson learned!

Yes, that's pretty much the instructions I tend to receive from levels 4/5 when an AR

I had the pleasure of being AR for a cup semi final this weekend. However, one instruction I am often given is regarding gk kicking from hands and usually consists of "if no one appeals for it have a quiet word and try to manage it". Now I know this is goes against the Laws of the game as really an offence is an offence regardless of where the ball is but on this occassion, blues v reds. Blue GK sends ball down field and the phase of play ends in a gk for the reds.

The opposite AR had his flag in the air, so referee goes over and awards a freekick, within a few moments a blue players is shown a red card

I checked at half time and the fk was for deliberate handball by the GK outside the area and the RC was for OFFINABUS.

Its worth noting that I wasn't given any specific instructions by the referee and he was correct on both occasions but is this one of those "game management" moments where keeping the flag down and having a word with the gk would have been better?
Context... if your AR colleague has got trigger happy with something borderline then that might not be good. But if he/she has seen something blatant / cheating / repeated / already warned etc... then the GK only has themselves to blame.

As a ref you have to give this if your AR flags it. I gave one the other day as the GK was holding the ball with his hand in the air outside the area while waiting to kick for maybe 3 seconds and it was so obvious to other players that it was an easy sell.

I wouldn't drop a referee in it without a warning, then a very public verbal warning. The ref doesn't need the problem of selling something he or anyone else didn't see.

Likewise as a ref I ask my ARs to provide warnings before getting me involved. If I hear my AR issue a warning and the flag goes up next time- easy, the earlier public warning is the deal maker- they were warned.

Did this on a semi final last season. Told the referee that the keeper was carrying the ball out of the penalty area and I'd warned him twice. Referee warned the keeper, keeper did it again and I flagged. Referee awarded free kick. Goal scored from free kick. I was suddenly a bad person.

Back