A&H

Junior/Youth Second yellow?

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
It was an under 14 match and in the first half the striker knocked the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands intentionally so I cautioned him - no arguments. In the second half there were various decisions with which he did not agree and there was a lot of low level dissent from him so I put him on a final warning. Then, with about ten minutes remaining and his team 1-0 up, I awarded a free kick near the touchline and he kicked the ball off the pitch which rolled down a hill. I would have cautioned him again, but nobody reacted (apart from his dad who was standing right next to the incident, obviously aware that he would have to pay the fine!) so I took the view that sending him off would be relinquishing all match control. The old adage, if they don't want it don't give it.

Was I correct, or was I wrong in basing my decision on people's reactions?

The Referee Store
Second yellow Southend if his dad had blown out proportion then your next playing card would have been removing him from the spectating area

Second yellow Southend if his dad had blown out proportion then your next playing card would have been removing him from the spectating area
He didn't make a massive deal about it, but he was the only person who even reacted to it.

I would say second yellow too but it is easy enough to say to the players who ask for the booking " it doesn't matter how far he kicked it fellas, I've stopped the clock anyway" most people leave it at that and it will normally save you the hassle (your match control). Don't worry about the fact that he is already on a yellow, just carry on as if he wasn't.

And if his dad gets out of control remove him like others have said, what sort of level can you not dismiss spectators??

I would say second yellow too but it is easy enough to say to the players who ask for the booking " it doesn't matter how far he kicked it fellas, I've stopped the clock anyway" most people leave it at that and it will normally save you the hassle (your match control). Don't worry about the fact that he is already on a yellow, just carry on as if he wasn't.

And if his dad gets out of control remove him like others have said, what sort of level can you not dismiss spectators??
Again, his dad was not out of control, I just mentioned it because he was the ONLY person, parents or players, who even reacted him doing it. I actually had respect for him, realising that his son was in the wrong, not just assuming that I was wrong (to book him initially!)

Again, his dad was not out of control.
I didn't mean that he was out of control but I meant that if he did become out of order then you need to get rid of him. And my question was more of a general one, when can you stop dismissing spectators/parents for being abusive because they obviously can't do that on the PL but how far down does that go? ( if everyone understands my question)

If I remember rightly what was said by my junior sunday league at the beginning of the season, you can't actually remove the parents, but you can ask the coaches to deal with them.

If I remember rightly what was said by my junior sunday league at the beginning of the season, you can't actually remove the parents, but you can ask the coaches to deal with them.
Yep, I agree with this point.

You can't move a spectator, but you can ask the coaches to deal with them. Obviously, in semi pro football this isn't really applicable, I would say only in youth games is the applicable.

spot on Southendref.. Manage the situation and don't give what people aren't expecting. Saved yourself a lot of aggro there. Now if you were being assessed, then its a different story...

Back