A&H

Second yellow during one advantage?

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I was playing FIFA with my friend and knew my player was going to get booked when the ball next went out. I commited another clear foul worthy of a yellow but only got the yellow for one of the fouls. If this were to happen in real life, how would you deal with this?

For example, player A is holding onto B’s shirt to stop a promising attack, advantage is played (question 1 should I let A know what’s coming after the ball goes out of play?) and the player knows exactly what he’s done. Before the ball goes out, he commits a blatant handball in the middle of the pitch (not DOGSO). As this player knew he was already getting cautioned, would this be a second yellow? My initial thought is no, but how can this be cleared up? A reference to the LOTG would be great. Apologies if my explanation is poor.

The Referee Store
Why wouldn't it be a 2nd yellow? Advantage on a yellow doesn't give the player the right to do whatever they like.
Some refs like to shout "advantage!! I'm coming back for that 6!" when playing advantage on a card.

If you have to give the 2 cards, use hand gestures as you're talking - explain the first one, point to that part of the field, and repeat.

Yes you can show two yellow cards at once for offences of which you have played advantage for. You can even play advantage for both the first and the second offences but that would be a rare one. Effective communication is very important as in both the vids above.
he commits a blatant handball in the middle of the pitch (not DOGSO).
As a side note, a handball, no matter how blatant, is not a yellow unless is SPA. How subtle or blatant deliberate handball is doesn't change the sanction. This is a recent clarification (not a change) in law.

Last edited:
Both refs in the above vidoes got the decisions spot on, the look of shock on both players faces as well.

The only thing id try to do if it was possible would be as you're running if the player in question who would have got the first yellow is an ear shot id be shouting as someone stated above "we are coming back for that yellow, dont foul"

Yes you can show two yellow cards at once for offences of which you have played advantage for. You can even play advantage for both the first and the second offences but that would be a rare one. Effective communication is very important as in both the vids above.

As a side note, a handball, no matter how blatant, is not a yellow unless is SPA. How subtle or blatant deliberate handball is doesn't change the sanction. This is a recent clarification (not a change) in law.
That’s what I had in mind, just didn’t explain it properly

in the first video, the first yellow should have been a straight red (hitting the opponent without the ball), and the second one is very close to red as well (orange).

. You can even play advantage for both the first and the second offences but that would be a rare one.

Extremely rare. Since the second results in a red, advantage should only be used if there is a very high chance of a goal being scored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll let you in on a secret. You can have a girlfriend who likes playing FIFA. Not as rare as one might think.

For example, player A is holding onto B’s shirt to stop a promising attack, advantage is played (question 1 should I let A know what’s coming after the ball goes out of play?) and the player knows exactly what he’s done. Before the ball goes out, he commits a blatant handball in the middle of the pitch (not DOGSO). As this player knew he was already getting cautioned, would this be a second yellow? My initial thought is no, but how can this be cleared up? A reference to the LOTG would be great.

Although it doesn't refer specifically to an advantage situation, I think the principle mentioned in IFAB Circular 11, issued 25 September, 2017 would apply here:
Where two separate cautionable (YC) offences are committed (even in close proximity), they should result in 2 x cautions (YCs)

Why wouldn't it be a 2nd yellow? Advantage on a yellow doesn't give the player the right to do whatever they like.
Some refs like to shout "advantage!! I'm coming back for that 6!" when playing advantage on a card.

If you have to give the 2 cards, use hand gestures as you're talking - explain the first one, point to that part of the field, and repeat.
I got assessed a little while ago, got slammed for playing an advantage on a second yellow. I pulled the advantage back and sent him off but the observer said to just give the foul and send off. Lesson learnt!! Got a 73 could have been a 74/75

I got assessed a little while ago, got slammed for playing an advantage on a second yellow. I pulled the advantage back and sent him off but the observer said to just give the foul and send off. Lesson learnt!! Got a 73 could have been a 74/75
Yeah, treat it like a straight red card - don't consider it unless he's left basically 1on1 with the keeper or going to an open goal

By law, advantage may be applied to both YC and RC offences. The referee just has to apply the appropriate sanction when the ball goes out of play. In instances of Serious Foul Play or Violent Conduct, the referee can't apply advantage unless there is a "clear" opportunity to score a goal (e.g through on goal), the referee should then send the player off when the ball next goes out of play OR if the player challenges/impacts and opponent before the ball has gone out of play. In this instance the referee should award an IDFK (unless a more severe offence was committed) against the player and dismiss the player. This doesn't appear to apply to an advantage played for a second caution though, by law you're allowed to apply advantage normally for a second caution or red card offence, therefore there is nothing wrong with what you did in law (So shouldn't have been marked down for it IMO)

Reactions: one
In instances of Serious Foul Play or Violent Conduct, the referee can't apply advantage unless there is a "clear" opportunity to score a goal [...]
This doesn't appear to apply to an advantage played for a second caution though,
Yes, it absolutely does. The actual wording is:
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal.

By law, advantage may be applied to both YC and RC offences. The referee just has to apply the appropriate sanction when the ball goes out of play. In instances of Serious Foul Play or Violent Conduct, the referee can't apply advantage unless there is a "clear" opportunity to score a goal (e.g through on goal), the referee should then send the player off when the ball next goes out of play OR if the player challenges/impacts and opponent before the ball has gone out of play. In this instance the referee should award an IDFK (unless a more severe offence was committed) against the player and dismiss the player. This doesn't appear to apply to an advantage played for a second caution though, by law you're allowed to apply advantage normally for a second caution or red card offence, therefore there is nothing wrong with what you did in law (So shouldn't have been marked down for it IMO)
This is wrong.

Funny, the same thing happened on a Tournaments Abroad Facebook post. Someone posted the same thing and wouldn't accept being corrected.

It is an error in law to play advantage on a second yellow unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal.

It’s not an option. The law is clear. Quoted above.

Back