A&H

Second Half of Games

In terms of concentration and focus, Your brain needs a number of things to function properly. Oxygen, fuel hydration and rest are essential. Half time, make sure you eat, have a drink, take a lot of deep breaths and try to have a few minutes rest before getting back on it. It’s easy to see the game as 1 game and 1 long session to stay focused. Seeing it (and preparing for) 2, 45 minute games should help with the right break in between. Good luck in finding the formula that works for you
I spend every second half exacerbated by the lack of Black & White goals. A flurry of yellow cards early in the 2nd to let off steam & I feel much better 😤

The Referee Store
Never kept stats on cards split between halves but I’d guess that the majority were second half. Tot up fouls and taking one for the team fouls were more prevalent in the second half I’m sure! I never needed massive fitness, but it wasn’t a massive issue if it kicked off late on.

Possibly getting a bit complacent if you feel you've had a really good first half?

I’ve been guilty of this after games where I’ve been given praise/good feedback from players afterwards. I’ve noticed I don’t seem to start the next game as well. Could be co-incidence or could be complacency.

As nice (and as rare) as the good comments are, I’ve learned not to dwell on them too much and sort of ‘reset’ before the next game.

I suppose a similar approach could work for halves.

Thanks for the advice.
I think I need to keep switched on more at half time rather than relax. I will certainly warm up again before the second half...

I am looking at the new test thinking it will be easier than the cooper.

The 75/25 run/walk?

It's not too bad, if you're fit. Gets the heart going. The thing I find exhausting is the whole stop/start nature of it, as you can't really get into a rhythm like with a continuous run.

Back to OP, the only games you get easier second halves than first is those which are 'killed off' in the first half or early in the second half and the team behind are decent people.

It only makes sense as you get closer to the end, for things to get more tense as both teams are runing out time to get the outcome they want or defend the outcome they have.

My tip, balance this out with the experience you get from the game played so far. For example, in the 80th minute, you should already know key skilled (goto) players, trouble makers, who is likely to dribble , who is likely to lose the ball.... You should also know how the teams play, long ball, diagonal passes, formations etc. This knowledge you didn't have at the start of the game should help you manage tense situations better than you would have at the start of the game.

Thanks for the advice.
I think I need to keep switched on more at half time rather than relax. I will certainly warm up again before the second half...

think of your brain like an iPhone 4 battery. Used to be great but now needs recharging after an hour. A five minute rest thinking of something else is tough but is essential to recharge it.

I do a lot of work with teenagers with mental health issues, part of that work is educating them about their brain, how it works and how they can help themselves self regulate more effectively.

don’t assume you won’t be switched on in the second half if you have a rest. What doesn’t help of course is teams that have literally a 2 min break and are then back on waiting for you

The 75/25 run/walk?

It's not too bad, if you're fit. Gets the heart going. The thing I find exhausting is the whole stop/start nature of it, as you can't really get into a rhythm like with a continuous run.
The key is to make sure you’re not static at the start of each 75m. Make sure you have momentum from the walk section and don’t go too quick - there’s no advantage to finishing the 75m early.

Thanks for the advice.

This ^ ^ ^

Try staying out on the pitch at half time rather that going back in for 10-15 mins. I often do - especially if it's bitterly cold. That brief change of environment that you get going back into the changing rooms at half time (on your own) may be causing your game-edge to lapse slightly. :)

There are a million different pieces of advice and technological aides for fitness. However, the best judge of your fitness relevant to the task is your own body. If you're aiming to go up the ladders then if you're feeling shattered in the 2nd hakf of a game then you need to get fitter. Unless you have long standing injuries or illnesses, there's literally nothing stopping you getting fit, only yourself.

I'm not some fitness guru, but I've played at a decent level and I keep myself fit. Refereeing for me is not a physical challenge. I did 10km on the treadmill yesterday, rotating between 11km/hr, 13km/hr and 16km/hr for 5 min intervals. I do this 3 times a week plus the other gym stuff and usually 2-5 games a week. The mindset to have is that however fit you are,you can always become fitter.

This does not make me a good referee, just a fit one. But as someone who's been playing sports all their life, the amount of nonsense I hear young refs spout about fitness is incredible. I work with loads of refs on the fast track programs who are seriously good referees for their age, far better than I (twice their age). But their fitness levels are going to hold them back, but they believe they're fit. I've listened to some excellent refs talk about their fitness like they're ready for professional football, whilst chugging around the pitch. If you want to be fit enough for decent level sport whether playing Or officiating, you have to work considersbly harder than you are currently doing in most cases.

Running at an even pace for 12 minutes doesn't even come close to mirroring refereeing a game. That's why at higher levels, including now level 3, they use the FIFA style test which tests out the referee in more of a match situation (e.g. sprints, increasing and decreasing heart rate, etc.)

I always used to breeze the Cooper test and always come close to 3km, but it would be a push to pay I was one of the fitter L3s.
Exactly Rusty. I used to manage the Cooper and I haven't been anywhere near fit since I left the RAF and gained several stones many moons ago.

Yes it may show general fitness but imo just because you can jog at an even pace for 12 minutes does absolutely nothing when it comes to seeing if you are fit enough to referee at any level.

The 75/25 run/walk?

Yes. I just feel like I am conditioned better for this style of fitness test than continuous running.

It all depends on the individual.

For some, (age and physical condition dependent) the Cooper Test is simply an aerobic exercise. For others, it's almost anaerobic. For most young men, the Cooper test equates pretty much to running a minimum 7.5 minute mile for 12 minutes which should be easily within their grasp. For an older man, say in his mid 50s, a 7.5 minute mile for 12 mins isn't so easy to come by - particularly over the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Irrespective of individual opinions on here, I firmly believe that the 5-4 Cooper test (including the 2 x sprints) is a more than effective way of bracketing out referees who simply aren't generally fit enough to operate at level 4 and above. Without being funny about it, there are a few players playing at Step 6 and above who would struggle (IMO) to pass it if tested. :)

The 75/25 run/walk?

Had a go at this tonight, unofficially. Passed. No real training put in for it.
No way Could I do the Cooper without some prior training so kind of proved what I thought.

As others have said I think '2nd halfitus' is partly a natural process - its harder for the participants in sport as mental and physical fatigue kick in, so wouldn't be too hard on your self that the same applies to us referees.

Back