A&H

Scott Brown tackle

Eddie

Level 7 Referee
Apologies if this one has been done but just came across it on twitter...

Excessive force? Reckless? Or ‘carry on, next’? As Sheffield’s finest would put it! There was enough in it to make the rangers player summersault through the air.

Yes it’s a fine tackle in the good old days, the type I miss when I’m at the match tbh. But thinking from a Saturday/Sunday league referee perspective, I can hear the team mates of the tackled-player screaming for action.

I can also hear the subsequent screams of disapproval from the teammates of the tackler! “He got the baaaaall ref!”

What would you give?

The Referee Store
In Scotland... nae worries, although DB would've been apt for the restart of a Promising Attack

With current law, and this day and age, safety is always first priority. Over and above getting the ball or even saving a goal. If you can't get the ball safely then you should go the way you are going for it. The onus is on the player to prioritise safety.

In this case it is very clear, with the speed the defener is going, get the ball or not, he is going to clean the opponent right off the ground. Reckless for me.

In contrast , the attacker sped towards the ball and slowed down as he saw the opponent approaching prioritising safety.

It only looks bad because the rangers player is goingin for the 50 50 with just as much force.
You need your eyes testing then ref (with respect). Off feet straight leg double footed 100 mph excessive dangerous lunge v player who pulled out and was going for side foot block. I would hope that all refs would agree that this sort of dangerous tackle has no place in football. MMA perhaps but not football.

With current law, and this day and age, safety is always first priority. Over and above getting the ball or even saving a goal. If you can't get the ball safely then you should go the way you are going for it. The onus is on the player to prioritise safety.

In this case it is very clear, with the speed the defener is going, get the ball or not, he is going to clean the opponent right off the ground. Reckless for me.

In contrast , the attacker sped towards the ball and slowed down as he saw the opponent approaching prioritising safety.
I'd hate to see what you class as dangerous then. It's probably the tackle after this one when both his legs are broken. And even then you'll think twice.

I'd hate to see what you class as dangerous then. It's probably the tackle after this one when both his legs are broken. And even then you'll think twice.
But a better referee than you, metres away 100% disagreed with your statement. Saying ‘it’s probably’ doesn’t improve your hypothesis at all, it’s just you guessing and thinking your guess is better than someone else’s! Peace ❤️

I never said this was not danerous. Are you saying anything that is dangerous is a red card?

Does he not kick the ball rather than hit it with a straight leg?
It matters not when, in the manner of his challenge in that context, that much excessive force is used. However, of course, as has been pointed out elsewhere, this referee is apparently better than me as he refs in a higher league and is a higher level and as he thought otherwise, case closed and I am in the wrong. I just hope this ref or any others who think this 'tackle' is acceptable, doesn't turn up on a game involving my son. He's no Gerald Ashby.

Back