A&H

Scorecards

TheLC

Out of curiosity how does everyone complete their scorecards? I have my first league game on Sunday, and it’s not something mentioned in the course. Do you fill it out beforehand with all the names or leave it blank and just write down any players that are cautioned or scored?
Understand it’s probably personal preference but any tips would be appreciated

The Referee Store
Horses for courses. It’s whatever works for you. Try just recording subs and cautions etc. Try writing all names etc and see what works best for you. Depends if you get teamsheets or not

Thank you! As this is my first game I’m not sure if I’ll get a team sheet beforehand, if I do I’ll write them all down, if not I think I’ll just record subs, goals and cards!

It seems strange to me that any league would let a referee take on a game without making sure they have given them full details about team sheets and exactly what the ref needs to submit later.

Thank you! As this is my first game I’m not sure if I’ll get a team sheet beforehand, if I do I’ll write them all down, if not I think I’ll just record subs, goals and cards!
The competition rules will tell you whether you will get a team sheet or not.

In answer to your question you need to trial and error and find what works for you. I find writing all names down an extra job I can manage without and also ensures that I follow the correct caution procedure.

It seems strange to me that any league would let a referee take on a game without making sure they have given them full details about team sheets and exactly what the ref needs to submit later.
My main league doesnt require the teams to issue team sheets, the recent RefSix addition allows me to request them from the clubs but its not a requirement from the league, if the clubs submit them via RefSix ill use them, otherwise its just subs and cautions

Can only try see what suits you best

I try have as little as possible write or to write.

The league website should include a rule about submission of teamsheets by clubs.

Yeah, I'd try and get a look at the match card the league asks you to fill in and work backwards from there. You'll always be asked for something unexpected (for example, I've just started on a new league that wants to know the names of the CARs), so it's worth knowing the questions you'll be asked post-match before you turn up.

Humpty & Dumpty
Honestly, on Sunday, I had the two CARs from Hell :devil::devil:
Weirdly, my game on Saturday didn't have a single offside at either end all match! So aside from one team's habit of constantly trying to play balls along the touchline, my CAR's this week had very little to do!

As many have said, competition rules will state what information should be provided to you AND what you are expected to provide back to the league post game. YMMV significantly based on the competition.

Having said that, the baseline for what you need to provide back is names of players that you've cautioned or sent off.

Team sheets are a good way of being able to double check names of players you've had to sanction, but should not replace the right cautioning method.

Names of subs are good to have (some leagues want you to advise on subs on a match card.

The things I write down every game (regardless of standard):

Team names
Team colours
Manager names (useful if you have to speak to them at all)
Captain names and number
Who is kicking off first

The rest will vary depending on my role in the game.

Plenty of good answers.

So, my scorecard only has the team names / colours / kick off (times) and the number of the starting line ups.

I have the surnames for the subs (plus initials if they have twins!) because I need to record the names of who is coming on and you'll find sometimes the mistakes they make with teamsheets is usually putting the wrong person down as a sub etc, so this is an easy one to catch.

Then for the match I record time of kick off, half time, 2nd kick off, full time (does need logging in online systems)

Cautions/dismissals/subs obviously enough. And I take the times of the goals, but I'm not bothered about who scores - that's usually the clubs responsibility, and I really hope it stays that way as my scorecard can't take further information! >_>

I’ve not even had a league handbook or set of competition rules etc.

Here in Western Australia its pretty different. All team sheets are submitted by clubs online, and we just take take the numbers of anyone cautioned and enter them after the game. We have rolling subs so no need to keep those details. We do however have to make a note of scorers' shirt numbers and the times of all goals.

In England, at all levels below National League Premier, referees are expected to follow a set cautioning procedure. That involves isolating the player, asking or confirming their name, telling them they are being cautioned, showing the card, and warning about their future conduct.

So how does that relate to match cards? It means that you need to be able to record the cautioned player's name, taking just a number isn't viewed as acceptable. If you have team sheets you could write down all of the names before the game, but you are relying on getting the team sheets in sufficient time to do this. In reality you often won't have time at grass roots, and might be lucky to get them 5 minutes before kick off. Another option is just taking the first name, then matching this to the number of the team sheet after. The safest way is to take the full name at the time of the caution.

The other thing to bear in mind is team sheets are much more likely to be accurate the higher the level of football you go. At levels where a club secretary fills them in there is a high likelihood they are accurate. When they are being filled in by a player on the touchline 5 minutes before kick off that probability of them being accurate diminishes significantly. And that is why taking or confirming the name is important: if you report the caution as Dave Jones and the actual offender is Roberto Zanetti you aren't going to be the most popular person at your CFA, as it will be abundantly clear that you didn't follow the correct procedure.

Here in Western Australia its pretty different. All team sheets are submitted by clubs online, and we just take take the numbers of anyone cautioned and enter them after the game. We have rolling subs so no need to keep those details. We do however have to make a note of scorers' shirt numbers and the times of all goals.

Are you guys on Comet as well?

Are you guys on Comet as well?
I don't know Comet. We use a program called Gameday for entry of results/cautions/scorers and another called Schedula for letting everyone know what games they have been allocated. It's all very easy, and totally paper free.

Back