A&H

Junior/Youth Sarcasim = booking?

Mike Spice

Level 7 Referee
Reffed an U14 friendly yesterday, all good few moans as usual, right near the end, a GK was given to which an attacking player said (not to me, but about me)
"How on earth did he pass his course ?" - he obviously denied saying anything when I spoke to him.

Booking?

The Referee Store
This is just straightforward dissent and an undisputable caution but there is nothing technically sarcastic in the comment.

Hm, obv depends on how the game has gone to that point, but doesn't this call for a comment back on the lines of, "Well they took a look at the quality of your team and appointed me to the game. Now get on and play football if you don't want to see what I learned about cautions."

My mate always says players that provide sarcastic clapping or any other sarcastic things is a caution all day long

You know, I'd book him, but here in the US it's pretty hard to get a booking for dissent. The abuse over here is still pretty bad, don't get me wrong, but it's mostly the parents that commit "dissent" so to speak. Most yellows in the leagues I ref are for USB.

This isn't sarcasm, it's just a weak insult. For me, not a caution by itself, at least a talking to, possibly a caution depending on other factors. Could just be differences in what's typical in different areas.

If it wasn't directed at you, but about you, but was loud enough for you to hear - booking for dissent.

Conclusive proof that a leopard CAN indeed change it's spots :)

Not at all.....I'm all for banging out a caution for dissent......just not convinced it was dissent as opposed to a comment to a team mate that the ref happened to overhear....
Obviously if it was said at such a volume designed to make sure the ref heard.......that's different....but said at a normal conversational volume to a team mate, as I said, not convinced.

This is almost the definition of dissent and will be greeted with a caution whatever the temperature of the match and however loud he said it.
You are not doing your job if you let this slide.

Not at all.....I'm all for banging out a caution for dissent......just not convinced it was dissent as opposed to a comment to a team mate that the ref happened to overhear....
Obviously if it was said at such a volume designed to make sure the ref heard.......that's different....but said at a normal conversational volume to a team mate, as I said, not convinced.

So you are the kind of ref responsible of the "I was talking to my mate, not to you, you can't caution me"

So you are the kind of ref responsible of the "I was talking to my mate, not to you, you can't caution me"

Depends......its normally quite obvious when a player is making a comment he wants you to hear, then defends it with the 'talking to my mate' ploy.....in which case I have no hesitation in introducing them to Mr Lemon......

However, it does sometimes happen that players make comments between them that aren't intended for your ears, at a normal speaking volume, that you might just be in a position to hear.......this is where experience and judgment help you determine how to deal with it.......if you were approaching a player from behind and he passed a comment to his mate?

A classic example of 'you had to be there' really........

To me the key element is the type of game it is.
If it was a competetive fixture I would book straight away.
As it is a friendly I would call the player over, call his manager over and tell him that I will book him unless he subs him.

Wow I'm genuinely surprised at the overwhelming view that's it's a dead cert caution. Obviously depends on the circumstances but the go-to here surely is a comment back that shows who's the smart arse and who's in charge. You then clearly follow through if they continue to take the piss. But an auto-YC risks making the ref look like he/she can't cope.

Back