A&H

Salford vs Leeds

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Maybe one of the resident law/history of the laws and subsequent change aficionados can help on this one....

Leeds keeper Karl Darlow was yellow carded during the penalty shoot out for advancing off his line early to save a Salford penalty, which officials picked up on and ordered a retake. (No VAR in operation).

The good book states "If the goalkeeper’s offence results in the kick being retaken, the goalkeeper is warned for the first offence in the game and cautioned for any subsequent offence(s) in the game". Could be wrong, but don't recall the keeper previously offending and receiving a warning.

Am I right in thinking when the law was changed from keepers needing both feet on or behind the line to it's current one foot version, an automatic yellow card for the keeper leaving the line early was the punishment, but this was watered down to the current version as it was deemed too harsh?

The Referee Store
this was discussed in passing in another thread and @RustyRef suggested it may have been dissent rather than encroachment which he was booked for

personally I don't buy that and think the ref got it wrong, but if it goes in as dissent no one will care/mind!

I think I read in another thread the caution was because of dissent to the assistant in the aftermath. The Sky Sports highlights doesn't show it unfortunately.

The law changed in 2020/21 to allow the keeper a warning before a caution for encroachment offences:

Screenshot_20230830-131755.png

this was discussed in passing in another thread and @RustyRef suggested it may have been dissent rather than encroachment which he was booked for

personally I don't buy that and think the ref got it wrong, but if it goes in as dissent no one will care/mind!
Purely a guess, and based on what someone at the ground said, just finding it quite difficult to comprehend how such a vastly experienced referee as Oliver Langford would make such a basic error. Plus I really can't see many keepers who have just won the game in a penalty shoot out not venting their anger when being told it is being retaken, and with the extremely low bar on dissent this season that feels like the most likely explanation.

Purely a guess, and based on what someone at the ground said, just finding it quite difficult to comprehend how such a vastly experienced referee as Oliver Langford would make such a basic error. Plus I really can't see many keepers who have just won the game in a penalty shoot out not venting their anger when being told it is being retaken, and with the extremely low bar on dissent this season that feels like the most likely explanation.
Yeah that's fair...but having been watching it live it just didn't seem likely. I'd say it was such a blatantly obvious example of encroachment that no one was surprised by the decision

And it remains a stupid rule that IFAB only pretended to fix. The caution came in originally on the theory that GKs would be less likely to infringe. It was stupid when introduce, as the problem wasn’t the GK mindset, but that Rs weren’t calling it, and adding a caution just made it less likely that Rs would call it. Once the expectation was that Rs would cal it, there is no need for the caution (or the warning—actually having a save tuned into a fresh PK is what changed GK behavior, not the threat of a caution. But apparently to avoid admitting the caution idea was stupid from day one, IFAB turned it into a warning and wiped cautions before the shootout to avoid the specter of sending off a keeper in the shootout (adding another stupid impact that a player or coach cautioned during the game doesn’t get sent off for a 2CT during the shootout).

Yeah that's fair...but having been watching it live it just didn't seem likely. I'd say it was such a blatantly obvious example of encroachment that no one was surprised by the decision
It was certainly a clear encroachment, but we've all dealt with enough keepers over the years to know that the only people knowing what goes through the minds of keepers are keepers 😂

Am I right in thinking when the law was changed from keepers needing both feet on or behind the line to it's current one foot version, an automatic yellow card for the keeper leaving the line early was the punishment, but this was watered down to the current version as it was deemed too harsh?
Just to correct you on one minor point, the law has never said keepers needed to have both feet on or behind the line.

A quick potted history. When penalty kicks were first introduced in 1891, the keeper only had to be 6 yards away from where the penalty kick was taken. That remained the case until 1905, when it was first specified that the keeper, "shall not advance beyond his goal-line."

There was nothing about where exactly the keeper's feet must be, or whether they could move at all until 1930, when there was a footnote added to Law 17 (as it was then), saying that, "the goalkeeper must not move his feet until the penalty kick has been taken."

That situation pertained until "the great rewrite" of 1997 when a change in wording meant the keeper could move along the line (so long as they remained on it).

There were no more changes until 2019, when the bit about goalkeeper positioning changed to say that the keeper, "must have at least part of one foot on, or in line with, the goal line when a penalty kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line."

You'll notice that even with these changes, the keeper couldn't be behind the line.

It was only in 2022 that it changed to the current form, where the keeper can have one foot behind the line.

If it was never specifically stated, then fair enough, but seen it on many occasions in the past where a keeper would stand significantly behind the line until the kick was taken and the referee allowed it, but then again until the great VAR supported clampdown, we also saw the likes of Dudek advancing to nearer the 6 yard line than the goal line when the kick was taken and officials also allowed that!

Back