A&H

Salah dive

We as the referees can't have the cake and eat it too. We are not blameless in this.

On the one hand none of us likes players who exaggerate contact in the penalty area and go down easy. On the other hand I rarely (almost never) see a penalty given when a player is fouled but stays on his feet and retains possession.

The Referee Store
We as the referees can't have the cake and eat it too. We are not blameless in this.

On the one hand none of us likes players who exaggerate contact in the penalty area and go down easy. On the other hand I rarely (almost never) see a penalty given when a player is fouled but stays on his feet and retains possession.

Gave one yesterday. Attacker inside the area, surrounded by defenders. Defender from behind clatters into his legs, attacker stays up but another defender clears. Clear penalty, given, no complaints.

I’ve seen the clip yesterday of Salah going to ground, but was the penalty given? It didn’t show what happened after

Gave one yesterday. Attacker inside the area, surrounded by defenders. Defender from behind clatters into his legs, attacker stays up but another defender clears. Clear penalty, given, no complaints.
that's an easy one to give and usually given.
Teh question is would you have given it if the attacker retained clear possession?
Easy to say yes but it's hardly ever given.

I’ve seen the clip yesterday of Salah going to ground, but was the penalty given? It didn’t show what happened after
No penalty, no card, ball was cleared. Referee was prepared to let play go on, but then a couple of Palace players started having a go at Salah, so he stepped in to break it up but kept his cards in his pocket.

I think you're exactly right, and this is a good example. There's a kick on the back of Salah's legs and there's no way the ref would have given a penalty for it. Salah realises this and so, dives. It's only the delay that make it look like a bad dive, if he goes down a half second quicker I think opinion would have been a lot more split

I think you're exactly right, and this is a good example. There's a kick on the back of Salah's legs and there's no way the ref would have given a penalty for it. Salah realises this and so, dives. It's only the delay that make it look like a bad dive, if he goes down a half second quicker I think opinion would have been a lot more split
So Salah made the most out of a foul which anywhere else on the pitch would have resulted in a free kick........the problem? Referee's needing that bit extra when the foul is in the area before they'll award a penalty.

Can we correct the thread title again now we have established the truth.....

Minty are you seriously saying you dont think Salah has been diving/cheating/going to ground call it what you want far too easily especially the last month or so ?

Minty are you seriously saying you dont think Salah has been diving/cheating/going to ground call it what you want far too easily especially the last month or so ?
Not at all, but the last twice you called them dives, they weren't. Despite following Pool I'd call it a dive if there were no foul. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to card players who are fouled exaggerating by their acting......might just stop all of it.

I think Salah deserved a booking for diving yesterday.
It was an amazing game. We were so lucky to win. It was a stupid dive and he should have been punished.

Not at all, but the last twice you called them dives, they weren't. Despite following Pool I'd call it a dive if there were no foul. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to card players who are fouled exaggerating by their acting......might just stop all of it.

I'm not one to exagerate, but Salah's dive on Saturday was about the clearest dive in the history of world football.
I can only assume your jesting

If you listen to ex pro players they all say if there is contact you go down in the box because if you stay on your feet you do not get the decision. They also say the same amount of contact anywhere else you would stay on your feet. Of all the pens I have given only one player has stayed on his feet.

Reactions: one
I'm not one to exagerate, but Salah's dive on Saturday was about the clearest dive in the history of world football.
And yet there was visible contact from the defender on the highlights I watched.....are you saying I'm wrong?

No it wasn't, not even close. On that basis you are you saying it was worse than any of these, which it clearly wasn't.

No it wasn't, not even close. On that basis you are you saying it was worse than any of these, which it clearly wasn't.
The Adryan (Leeds) dive has to get first prize
The spontaneous spasm or anti-gravity flip gets my vote

Back