A&H

Safeguarding Children

Rob

Level 9 Referee
As part of BRC you have to attend the above as part of the course. Due to work commitments I haven't completed this part as yet , basically I just wondered what the course involved etc. Thanks for any guidance / help as always.

The Referee Store
Basically a workshop talking you various aspects of child protection as it applies to referees, no formal testing you just have to turn up and participate.

Cheers guys. Do you have to participate even if you won't be coming in to contact with children within the game ?.

No - it's not required if you will only referee adult matches...

I don't think that is 100% true

If you only referee on Vets games then fair enough

I think because "children" can play in open age games then you perhaps should complete the course first ..?

Happy to be told wrong - and it of course depends on a definition of a child (e.g. is a 17 year old a child ..?) ... I know someone who unfortunately was involved in an incident and is now only allowed to referee Vets games

Alex - You make a good point, re 'children aged 16-17 who could be playing in 'adult' (open age) football... However we were told at Surrey FA course that only referees who were intending to referee youth football needed to be CRC checked...

Q. Do I need a CRC to register as a referee?

A. At present only referees who are over the age of 16 (on the date of registration) and who intend to officiate in youth football (i.e. under 18) need to have an FA accepted CRC. In the event that you do not possess an FA approved CRC and you indicate during the registration process that it is your intention to officiate in youth football during season 2014/15, you will still be able to complete your referee registration but will need to have an FA accepted CRC in place by September 1st 2014.

@Rob - here is the link to the East Riding course programme http://www.eastridingfa.com/referees/course-programme

I think that your FA is slightly behind the current thinking (not surprising in they are based in Hull:p). I am from the sensible side of the Humber, so this is allowed...

From the web page:
The only additional cost to this is candidates aged 16 and above are required to complete an FA Criminal Record Check if they have not already completed one through The FA. (The cost of a CRC is £10)
You will be invited to complete this online prior to the course.
All candidates must undertake training in Safeguarding Children unless they have already done so.

Traditionally, don't know what the guidelines are this season, everyone needed Safeguarding but only those officiating u18 football needed CRB/CRC/DBS.

Traditionally, don't know what the guidelines are this season, everyone needed Safeguarding but only those officiating u18 football needed CRB/CRC/DBS.
Hands up here, made an error. I confused the requirements which came via County but were actually about refereeing in the County's two major Junior Leagues

Of course if you choose not to get a CRC you are excluding yourself from refereeing in your County's Junior competitions

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info everyone , much appreciated as always. Lincs22 - we have the best football teams on this side of the bridge tough, professional I mean ;-)

i haven't got my safeguarding so opt out of the youth football registration

in terms of CRB I have BTP Vetting Procedure and Disclosure Scotland

Back