A&H

Ryan Atkin, the UK's first 'out' professional football referee

I don't think the issue is whether or not players or officials are gay.

It is how they would be treated if people knew they were.

Let's say that a we'll know premier league footballer was gay. They might not make a big song and dance about it, but, you know that the tabloids would be all over it like a rash if they were seen holding hands with their boyfriend whilst out shopping.

And it would become a big deal whether they want it to or not.

I don't know how you get rid of the homophobic abuse in football. Charging clubs isn't going to achieve much, arresting the perpetrators would, but I imagine it's quite difficult to identify who shouted what when you have 75000 people there.

I go and watch my Mrs play, and in her team there's probably 6 straight people, I also referee in the county women's league, and I've never heard any abuse from players, and/or spectators. Although admittedly apart from cup finals the matches don't really attract much in the way of supporters.

I heard from another ref about one match where someone (I assume a players dad) was shouting abuse at the opposition, calling them dykes etc and was gotten rid of, but that's it.

The only way these types of views and behaviour will really be irradicated is over time. Younger people tend to be more accepting of people who are different to themselves, so as the older generations slowly get replaced it will improve.

The Referee Store
We have a pre op lady / man referee locally. The teams are pre warned that any incident is seriously looked at with long bans!

We have a pre op lady / man referee locally. The teams are pre warned that any incident is seriously looked at with long bans!
Why pre-warn. Just ban. This is exactly what is wrong with, not just football, but society as a whole. The mere fact that teams are pre warned that they will be getting a referee who is transgender is just ridiculous. Edit: unless the individual has requested for teams to be told in advance but it still should just be fyi and nothing about repercussion. People should just accept the person for who they are and get on with what they are there to do which in this instance is to play a game of football. Do they get pre warned if there referee is of an ethnic minority group? Im guessing not but I expect that prejudicial abuse would be dealt with just as harshly.
I agree with @zarathustra that over time these prejudicial views will become less and less but certainly something needs to be done in the meantime for lgbt people to feel safe within football if ot is the case that they dont.

Last edited:
Happy with the pre-warn tbh, some of these players are of quite low brain cell count. One mans banter is another ones red line, as we found recently.

Good luck to all regardless of anything, it really shouldn't matter a damn!

My only regret in football comes from not binning a bigot...female says to another after being nutmugged...'you won't do that again you dyke bxxtard', didn't believe I heard it correct allowed play to go on as last few minutes and team heading towards goal. At end of game I went across and said to the girl I must apologise to you but did I hear correctly and she confirmed what was said... I apologised profusely for not reacting as I honestly believe I was so shocked. A report went in and a warning issued as I hadn't taken any action at the time no ban (sadly).

No pre warning should issue.....it just shouldn't happen end of story. We shouldn't have to run Respect campaigns or kick it Out it just shouldn't happen and until authorities apply appropriate punishments for it...it will continue!

As for Nigel Owens I don't think he was out for the celebrity more than likely he wanted to live his life he was a celebrity anyway considered to be the best rugby referee in the world.

That's my point. is it? Would it happen? and is it illegal if it did? Is there any precedent in a "white" person reporting a race crime after being called (for example) the N word?
If you use the word 'gay' intended as an insult, then that is homophobic, regardless of the sexuality of the 'recipient'. Same goes for race etc.

Ryan's sexuality is nobody's business but his own. Good for him for going public but there's nothing to discuss that merits the use of his name in the thread title. If you want to discuss homophobia, or any other phobia on the site please don't use anyone's name in the title!

Ryan's sexuality is nobody's business but his own. Good for him for going public but there's nothing to discuss that merits the use of his name in the thread title. If you want to discuss homophobia, or any other phobia on the site please don't use anyone's name in the title!
He made it everyone's business more then likely. I think it would be pretty naive to think he quietly came out to his friends and family and then somehow the news papers and tv picked up on it

In fairness Ryan went to the press and was even doing an interview on ITV London's evening news, so he wanted it to be discussed. You don't go on live 6pm TV if you want to keep a low profile ..!

Just because it has come up, I'll throw in this...

The country where I live is overwhelmingly white (and blonde). There is a relatively small immigrant population but not great integration in most walks of life (not great being a massive understatement). Except refereeing. One of the best things about my group of colleagues is the diversity - a lot of cultural and racial backgrounds. More "foreigners", immigrants and people from different religious, cultural and racial backgrounds are also on the football field as well compared to "everyday life" - but with the flag and the whistle it is something else. My FA have done a great job to make the profession attractive and available to all.

PS I am originally from Brighton. If that's all Leicester have got I think we'll do alright this season!

Back