The Ref Stop

Rolling substitutions

The Ginger Ref

Level 7 Referee
I want to caveat this post by stating that I fully understand the proper procedure for managing substitutions:
  • Halfway line
  • Record the name and number of the player coming off
  • Record the name, number, and check the kit of the player coming on
I also realise that not following this process could lead to poor feedback/score in an observer's report.

However, with the introduction of rolling subs in both open age and youth games, strictly adhering to this process every time a substitution is made could easily add 10 minutes to the game—and possibly lead to criticism for being too rigid or "busy."

In practice, particularly in youth games, it sometimes feels more efficient to let three players come off, three come on, and then do a quick headcount if needed.

(I am sure this has been discussed 100 times previously on here, but I couldn't find the exact answer)

The Ref Stop
With rolling/return subs, at the lower levels of grassroots (including youth) with CARs, I’m blowing the whistle, making a modicum of effort to move toward half way, watching the players come on and off, letting them get into position, blowing the whistle again to restart, and that’s it.

Genuine question - would an observer on an L7 to L6 observation really mark you down for not following the process to the letter?

With rolling/return subs, at the lower levels of grassroots (including youth) with CARs, I’m blowing the whistle, making a modicum of effort to move toward half way, watching the players come on and off, letting them get into position, blowing the whistle again to restart, and that’s it.

Genuine question - would an observer on an L7 to L6 observation really mark you down for not following the process to the letter?
It is coaching reports at 7-5. What I have found is coaches are lenient if you are in control.

Basically they get what @The Ginger Ref said, and they understand that banging yellows out over the oncoming sub, and outgoing sub being on the pitch at the same time is silly, especially when there is no one to help you or the coaching team manage the process.

What will get you slaughtered is if you restart before a player is 100% off the pitch or with the wrong numbers.

It is coaching reports at 7-5. What I have found is coaches are lenient if you are in control.

Basically they get what @The Ginger Ref said, and they understand that banging yellows out over the oncoming sub, and outgoing sub being on the pitch at the same time is silly, especially when there is no one to help you or the coaching team manage the process.

What will get you slaughtered is if you restart before a player is 100% off the pitch or with the wrong numbers.
Really helpful, thank you.

Teams can make several return substitutions on every stoppage. Recording numbers in every case not only doesn't make sense from time consuming angle but the space on your match card.

However at any given time you need to be able to distinguish players from substitutes (eg a brawl near beaches and you send someone off). The way we manage this if subs are not recorded is to have all substitutes wear bibs (or a t-shirt on top of jersey) at all times.

SeveraL years ago, when I was being observed (and I think was an observation back then?) whilst going from L7 to 6, my substitution technique was raised by the observer.

First batch of subs was done well, and I got kudos for this, but later in the game he (the observer) observed that a sub came racing on before the the player being replaced had left the pitch. Development noted, I still achieved “above standard expected) and duly went from seven to six at the end of the season.

To be fair to me, this was OA football right down in the weeds of grass roots, players paying to play, and the oncoming sub was excited and delighted to get 15 mins on the pitch, so bounded (too early) with energy and enthusiasm, whilst the player leaving the pitch, knackered and exhausted, was ambling his way off.

So now, when operating alone (ie, no NARs) I still don’t run over to the halfway line to manage every substitution, but will hold my hand up and ensure the replacement doesn’t come on until I say so.

Trademark violation? 🤔
SeveraL years ago, when I was being observed (and I think was an observation back then?) whilst going from L7 to 6, my substitution technique was raised by the observer.

First batch of subs was done well, and I got kudos for this, but later in the game he (the observer) observed that a sub came racing on before the the player being replaced had left the pitch. Development noted, I still achieved “above standard expected) and duly went from seven to six at the end of the season.

To be fair to me, this was OA football right down in the weeds of grass roots, players paying to play, and the oncoming sub was excited and delighted to get 15 mins on the pitch, so bounded (too early) with energy and enthusiasm, whilst the player leaving the pitch, knackered and exhausted, was ambling his way off.

So now, when operating alone (ie, no NARs) I still don’t run over to the halfway line to manage every substitution, but will hold my hand up and ensure the replacement doesn’t come on until I say so.
It's what I am looking for really. Is the referee taking control of the substitution procedure? I would give some advice on how it should be done so they dont fall foul if/when they get to levels where it has to be done exactly but ultimately at grassroots you won't win many friends if you are being overly officious at substitutions, especially at the rate they can happen at this level.

I don't expect referees to go to the touchline and half way line every time, but I do want to see them make an effort manage it. They must take numbers of who comes on, and there is a very good reason for that. An unused substitute isn't deemed to have taken part in the game, so if the referee isn't marking numbers of who came on how is he / she going to report who played in the game? And that information cane be vital, for example under rule 18L of SCoR which talks about how many players can "play down" having played at a higher level in the past 21 days. If a referee reports that every sub played that club may get incorrectly charged if they then play someone in their reserve team that was an unused sub in a first team game.

Back