A&H

Rock hard balls

Simon Haydon

Level 6 Referee
I can't work out whether it was deliberate or not but I suspect I was the victim of a fast one recently.
This season, after players continually complained about balls being too soft, I finally bought a gauge and pump and checked balls before every game. At least it enables the ref to tell players the ball is fit for purpose.
On Saturday, I asked the home team manager for the match balls about half an hour before the game when it became clear they wouldn't be offered to me.
"Ah yes, thanks for that ref, they're in the back of my car," he said.
Time passed: no balls. Eventually at 10 to 3 I thought I'd better get out on the pitch and sure enough, the manager was standing there with 2 matchballs, making a pretty feeble excuse about why they hadn't been offered to me.
This is where I made the mistake. With loads of pre-match hassle going on - late team sheets, one team 2 players short etc etc - I didn't have time to check the balls. Kick off came, and within minutes players were complaining about the ball. "It's rock hard ref." And indeed it was like a stone. Goal Kicks went nowhere, shots were weak. I stopped play and asked the manager to get some air out. Better but still far from ideal.
When half time came I went back to the changing rooms - a 3-4 minute walk away - and got the gauge. The pressure was off the scale. It took me 30 seconds to release enough air to bring it back into the correct range.
The game was transformed.
But was it an accident? I can't see how the home team would gain an advantage from having over-inflated balls. Why would someone pump such a massive amount of air into the ball?

The Referee Store
I can't see how the home team would gain an advantage from having over-inflated balls. Why would someone pump such a massive amount of air into the ball?

Ignorance mainly. (Of the LOTG that is).
Most coaches/players would have encountered occasions when a ball is clearly "too soft" which to their logic would mean that a ball can't actually be "too hard". :)

Even at the (slightly) higher level matches I do, most clubs checks on match balls amount to saying "They're OK aren't they ref?"

At lower levels you're lucky if you can get a ball off the players using it for their warm up before kick off!

Even at the (slightly) higher level matches I do, most clubs checks on match balls amount to saying "They're OK aren't they ref?"

At lower levels you're lucky if you can get a ball off the players using it for their warm up before kick off!

I always make it part of my pre-match schedule. Out onto the field (where they're warming up) kit check, CAR nomination/brief, followed by "Okay coach/guys, let's have a look at the match balls then".....

Works for me. :)

Last edited:
I think you're looking for something where nothing exists. I'd imagine he just couldn't be bothered getting them from the car, and they may well have just used an electronic pump on them. Easy to overfill.

I have a guage. £3 off ebay. I marked the range that LOTG allows with a black marker.
Last Saturday I was given the 2 match balls, they were soft, manager complained that they were ok, I showed her the gauge and she said "I'd better get one of those!!"

Some of the acceptance pressure ranges written on balls are really tight and often at the low end of the LOTG range

Ideally the balls are with you - clean - nice & early - and you can gauge them

If you do end out on the pitch and time is up pre-game - I've thrown a ball at the GK before to tell me what he / she thinks (I'm part of the GK union plus I always think of them as the people who will be kicking the ball the hardest, will have it in their hands most often too)

Unfortunately I've had to stop too many of my own games having not checked the balls properly and players telling me the ball is flat - totally down to me - albeit easy to blag saying it's gone soft during the game (even if the game is only 30 seconds old!)

Back