A&H

Robertson & TAA's post match rants

The Referee Store
Ref only has himself to blame, stands there and takes it from two players and the manager.

Still only Ancelotti that i think has been red carded for any sort of dissent.

USE YOUR CARDS

Ref only has himself to blame, stands there and takes it from two players and the manager.

Still only Ancelotti that i think has been red carded for any sort of dissent.

USE YOUR CARDS
I agree but I always think having the cameraman standing there makes things even harder, especially in this situation with an empty stadium. Considering dissent is very rarely punished at that level, maybe that kind of abuse isn't a big thing, but it's almost shocking to hear it from those players. Will be interesting to see the FA's response, as usually when you see a rant at the referee, you can't properly hear it, but this is literally every word that's audible

I agree but I always think having the cameraman standing there makes things even harder, especially in this situation with an empty stadium. Considering dissent is very rarely punished at that level, maybe that kind of abuse isn't a big thing, but it's almost shocking to hear it from those players. Will be interesting to see the FA's response, as usually when you see a rant at the referee, you can't properly hear it, but this is literally every word that's audible

And this is the real problem.

I remember going to a development session/talk from Anthony Taylor (I think) and while he didn't say it out right he did insinuate that the reason dissent and offinabus is not punished at this level is because teams don't want their star players missing games because the referee doesn't like being sworn at.

I remember going to a development session/talk from Anthony Taylor (I think) and while he didn't say it out right he did insinuate that the reason dissent and offinabus is not punished at this level is because teams don't want their star players missing games because the referee doesn't like being sworn at.
Totally understand that. There probably would be at least 3 red cards a game if OFFINABUS was correctly punished and I guess no fan wants to see that. Not that it makes it right, but I can understand it. Also, you just know the papers and media would be filled with comments about the ‘referee’s ego‘ if he sent Robertson, Trent and Klopp off for things said after full time, regardless of whether it’s correct or not

It’s chicken egg. If players got cautioned/sent off for the inappropriate behavior, the behavior would change. We’re in a seal-perpetuating cycle: of course the conduct of players isn’t going to change if it is not sanctioned.

Nothing that can be done post-game as clearly it can't be said that the officials didn't see or hear it. It is difficult to hear exactly what was said but I would say it was fairly low level behaviour, yes there was a lot of bad language but it was more in general rather than actually abusing the officials.

That wouldn't be punished in most leagues, it certainly wouldn't be punished in the EPL where the Premier League effectively control PGMOL.

We know that at this level the officials tolerate abusive language that - I think - we should not tolerate at grassroots.

I think Liverpool will act on this. The club has put a lot of effort into social and promoting the players. Robbo is a senior professional and it’s not acceptable to be on Crouch’s podcast one week and abusing the ref the next.

The league won’t act but I hope he gets a reprimand if not a fine from the club.

Those poor children listening at home who'll hear **** *** you **** for the first time! Shocking.

Hope those officials are okay xoxoxox

M
So Gabriel Jesus getting booked for abusing the ball on Wednesday was rare.... while telling the ref
"F*** me, what's the point in having you in the middle? What's the point in having you?" is not a big thing.

Just saying.

Those poor children listening at home who'll hear **** *** you **** for the first time! Shocking.

Hope those officials are okay xoxoxox
Not saying they’ve never heard it before - I mainly mean in terms of the image it presents to grass roots football. I sent off an u15 for a second caution for dissent (before sin bins) and their manager said ‘well players in the Premier League swear at the referee’. Just makes our job harder when players see that on the TV and think it’s good

M

So Gabriel Jesus getting booked for abusing the ball on Wednesday was rare.... while telling the ref
"F*** me, what's the point in having you in the middle? What's the point in having you?" is not a big thing.

Just saying.
I’m not saying it isn’t a big deal, I mean in the PL, it isn’t a big deal as it’s quite obvious that players swear at the officials a lot at that level. Haven’t seen the Jesus incident so I can’t really say much about that

Wayne Rooney (as much as he was a pr**k) got suspended for less than this.
I'm sure the media will show this 200 times to force a suspension also.
I literally couldn't look at myself in the mirror after taking **** like this from little chavs like Robertson without response.
Guess every man has his price to put his pride and integrity in the car boot when he arrives at s ground.
I'd prob do it for... £150k a year.

Not saying they’ve never heard it before - I mainly mean in terms of the image it presents to grass roots football. I sent off an u15 for a second caution for dissent (before sin bins) and their manager said ‘well players in the Premier League swear at the referee’. Just makes our job harder when players see that on the TV and think it’s good
I'd of said I'll take the Premier league match fee then...

We can dress it up however we want, but essentially professional football allows and therefore encourages verbal abuse of officials. There are many reasons already discussed on here why, but that doesn't change the fact thatbits accepted and encouraged (by lack of enforcement of law).

Whether its the PGMOL, the PL or the EFL, they all accept and encourage abuse of officials by their weak behaviour down the years.

It is not acceptable in business and its not acceptable in most other sports. Our game accepts it, and whether its right or wrong I hate the fact that we do.

We can dress it up however we want, but essentially professional football allows and therefore encourages verbal abuse of officials. There are many reasons already discussed on here why, but that doesn't change the fact thatbits accepted and encouraged (by lack of enforcement of law).

Whether its the PGMOL, the PL or the EFL, they all accept and encourage abuse of officials by their weak behaviour down the years.

It is not acceptable in business and its not acceptable in most other sports. Our game accepts it, and whether its right or wrong I hate the fact that we do.
I observe in games at three levels - Contrib/Supply/local promotion candidates. Newer referees looking for promotion do tend to do something about unacceptable language, and our Supply League has told clubs, players, referees and observers that referees who do nothing will receive a lower mark. This has worked well in its first season.
Once a referee gets to Contributory Level (3) there is a tendency to "not hear"/ignore it, even though everyone else in the ground has. A great shame.
The worst level of language is in local Sunday football, where a full sentence is a rarity and a full sentence without unacceptable language in it is even rarer. Classic last season where a Level 4 coming back from injury refereed a few Sunday morning games for match fitness, and sent off a player for a loud verbal broadside (over a disputed throw on the halfway line!) As he showed the red card the player said very loudly "I didn't f###ing swear at you, you d###head". Enough said!

Back