A&H

RMA vs LIV

The Referee Store
But, a save is a deliberate play, and the outcome of the attacker getting their first makes that deliberate play a save.
A save is not a deliberate play as far as the definitions in the law go. In fact, the law makes it clear that a deliberate save is not to be considered the same as a deliberate play, by specifying different (and in fact pretty much opposite) outcomes for them.

Also, the law gives a definition of what a save is and it has nothing to do with an attacker getting there first (although obviously, a touch by an attacker has to occur, for offside to be a consideration in the first place).

It is only a save, "when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal ..."

Given the absolutely minimal distance the ball travels after touching Valverde, before Konaté plays it, I don't think it's possible to even hazard a guess as to where that ball was going to end up.

For me, despite the touch by a Real player fractionally earlier, Konaté both fully intends to play the ball and then succeeds in doing so, meaning he deliberate plays it as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see any way to classify it as either a deflection, a rebound or a deliberate save.

A save is not a deliberate play as far as the definitions in the law go. In fact, the law makes it clear that a deliberate save is not to be considered the same as a deliberate play, by specifying different (and in fact pretty much opposite) outcomes for them.

Also, the law gives a definition of what a save is and it has nothing to do with an attacker getting there first (although obviously, a touch by an attacker has to occur, for offside to be a consideration in the first place).

It is only a save, "when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal ..."

Given the absolutely minimal distance the ball travels after touching Valverde, before Konaté plays it, I don't think it's possible to even hazard a guess as to where that ball was going to end up.

For me, despite the touch by a Real player fractionally earlier, Konaté both fully intends to play the ball and then succeeds in doing so, meaning he deliberate plays it as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see any way to classify it as either a deflection, a rebound or a deliberate save.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this occasion Peter.
To address the semantics, law 11 says

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who
deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered
to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

Whilst the glossary provides varying definitions the above statement, to me, confirms a deliberate save, can also be via a deliberate play. Even more backed up by the definition of play, not copy and paste but something like a an "action that makes contact with the ball" eg a deliberate save.

A player, playing the ball forwards, from around the penalty mark to me from there in most cases, incuding this one, I'm happy it was going into or very near to the goal, save for Konate's intervention therefore I would class Konate's deliberate play as a save.

Peter, for me, it's in your penultimate sentence that the logic breaks down. For, as soon as the touch by the Real player occurs, Konate's previous intentions become irrelevant. His touch on the ball becomes treated as any other similar touch would .. in this case, given the proximity to the goal and the direction of the ball (as James says) it becomes deemed as a save.

Back