A&H

RM Vs MC

The Referee Store
The Jesus goal was in no way, shape, or form a foul; his arms went up, but there was no extension (so no push) or grabbing (no pull either). If a defender does the same thing in the PA, we say it is expected contact on a corner; why not for the attacker too?

Don't be fooled by those little pulls by defenders to think that it is nothing. They are very common and often effective. When attackers get in front of defenders, what the defenders need is to slow down the attacker ever so slightly. The same action often gives the defender a slight boost in speed as well to catch up to defender to be able close an angle, block a shot or get in front altogether. I always think of them as a fouls unless it has no impact at all on play.

In this instance if hypothetically Jesus did not go down, I am fairly certain he would have had a reduced chance of scoring a goal with the pull and no foul would have been called.

Back from Madrid. It's not easy to see what's happening through a net and from 60 feet up above the action. I'd no idea there was even a suggestion of a push by Jesus on Ramos - but it looks like Ramos was already falling... Probably more of a push on Walker for the Real Madrid goal.

From almost right above it, I wasn't really expecting a penalty as I thought the defender may have got a touch on the ball. On replays, Sterling clearly extends his leg to get to the ball first, but I've not seen an angle to suggest he was "already falling" before contact. You don't seriously expect him to jump over the incoming tackle, do you?

If Jesus deliberately took a free kick outside the box rather than stay on his feet one-on-one with the keeper, it would be a poor choice.

Whether the referee gets any more CL games is another matter! I thought he was fine, apart from getting in the way a bit (actually running forward about five yards in front of a player running forward with the ball), and insisting on FKs in midfield being taken from an exact spot.

I'm far from a City fan, but all three calls were spot on.

Jesus goal - Ramos was up to his usual tricks trying to draw a foul by backing into Jesus. Excellent work by Orsato to not fall for it.

Sterling penalty - RM defender comes sliding in. Definitely careless and no contact with the ball at all. Sterling might have sold it a little, but that's a penalty.

Ramos send-off - Again, Orsato and team got this one absolutely right. Not only did Ramos pull back on Jesus' shoulder, but he also clipped his legs (which I think was the more significant of the two fouls). What surprised me (in a very positive way) was that Orsato went to his back pocket. I know I'm cynical, but I thought that was going to be one of those times where some sort of half-baked excuse was going to appear to give Ramos a caution. I was happy to see the send-off.

I've watched the entire game once and a good chunk of the second half again just to watch how great DeBruyne was in the second half (not a City fan, but definitely a KDB fan - he's my favorite player to watch in world football). I thought Orsato and crew were very, very good.

To add on to One's comment, I try hard to call those "swim moves". When a player uses that move to gain leverage, it's a foul. I'm not sure how many referees do call it, but I get a lot of funny looks when I call that play.

My two penneth after YouTube’ing the highlights.

Sterling incident was disappointing. It’s not a dive per se as he is caught, but I don’t want to see him ‘anticipating a foul’ like that. Wouldn’t have argued had it been called a dive.

Jesus/Ramos goal incident. No real complaints whichever way it had been called. Either decision is credible.

Ramos red is Ramos 101.

Back