A&H

RM Vs MC

The Referee Store
Three biggest decisons all went Man City's way.
Looking forward to Bloovee's take.
Lovely dive by Sterling for the pen, ref obv doesn't follow the EPL or he's have been wise.
For the Ramos one. Slight contact and Jesus completely belly flops. 3/10. Def needs some lessons from Sterling.

I think it was a very clever 'buying' of the foul.

I am blind though, I can't see any contact with the legs that some are claiming happened. I do see the pull though, so I can understand it being given on that basis, but the player didn't half lay it on thick.

I think it was a very clever 'buying' of the foul.

I am blind though, I can't see any contact with the legs that some are claiming happened. I do see the pull though, so I can understand it being given on that basis, but the player didn't half lay it on thick.
Agree with this. And goes back to my comment a few weeks ago that referees don't give it unless players go down. And on that basis you can't blame Jesus for it. A few weeks ago we had a hard tug on the shoulder in EPL that turn the attacker 180 degrees in the PA but he stayed on his feet and got a half balanced shot away. No penalty was give then. This slight pull on the shoulder was not nearly as bad as that one but Jesus 'bought' the foul because he knows how referees work, unfortunately.

City fan but objective, usually! Both decisions correct from the referee. Amazed Carvajhal didn't get a yellow for the penalty but that's small fry, the ref got the key decisions correct. Ramos put his hands on Jesus and pulls him back. Nothing big but enough to impede him. Red card the correct decision.

i was going against the ref / city for all 3 big decisions tbh

looked like a push by jesus, 2 hands in his back - i didnt even celebrate the goal
sterling was going down before the contact
the contact for the red card, while running at pace, is minimal and the fall is very exaggerated. called dive in real time and i wouldn't have complained if no foul had been given.

i was going against the ref / city for all 3 big decisions tbh

looked like a push by jesus, 2 hands in his back - i didnt even celebrate the goal
sterling was going down before the contact
the contact for the red card, while running at pace, is minimal and the fall is very exaggerated. called dive in real time and i wouldn't have complained if no foul had been given.

I thought it was a dive real time but the replay shows contact and it definitely wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref. I don't think it was a push. The hands went on Ramos's back but he fell backwards, so there's no push there. If you push someone in mid air they go forwards! Certainly not a clear and obvious error with the award of the goal so no need to overturn.

I thought it was a dive real time but the replay shows contact and it definitely wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref. I don't think it was a push. The hands went on Ramos's back but he fell backwards, so there's no push there. If you push someone in mid air they go forwards! Certainly not a clear and obvious error with the award of the goal so no need to overturn.

yeah i can go with that, not a C&O error for the pen
i suppose it just surprised me that the ref didnt give it immediately (he'd given a lot of soft pushes throughout the game) and i thought this was similar.

Champions League = Cheating = Refs being cheated = Players being cheated by Refs = Ref getting the blame = Me watching the EFL instead

think that's just modern football in general to be honest, see plenty of similar acts lower down the football pyramid

think that's just modern football in general to be honest, see plenty of similar acts lower down the football pyramid
A very small % in comparison
Cheating is only really a problem in the elite form of the game because those players are adept at it, whilst the rest are not (or not inclined)

Last edited:
First MC goal, there's a bit of contact in his back, but didn't look like a push, more like defender got misjudged and got under the ball then tried to buy a foul when he felt contact.

Penalty decision - Sterling has anticipated the contact and the defender has obliged. If the defender doesn't lunge in, then no decision for the referee to make, it's a simple as that.

Ramos send off - there is a little tug and attacker has obliged by going down. Once the foul is given, it's a DOGSO every day of the week. Once again, Ramos has given the referee a decision to make and it's clear that he felt that pulling the player back outside the box (even at risk of being sent off) is better than letting attacker get into the box and potentially make it 3-1. For me that's the epitome of a "professional foul"

First MC goal, there's a bit of contact in his back, but didn't look like a push, more like defender got misjudged and got under the ball then tried to buy a foul when he felt contact.

Penalty decision - Sterling has anticipated the contact and the defender has obliged. If the defender doesn't lunge in, then no decision for the referee to make, it's a simple as that.

Ramos send off - there is a little tug and attacker has obliged by going down. Once the foul is given, it's a DOGSO every day of the week. Once again, Ramos has given the referee a decision to make and it's clear that he felt that pulling the player back outside the box (even at risk of being sent off) is better than letting attacker get into the box and potentially make it 3-1. For me that's the epitome of a "professional foul"
With you on all of these. First one there is a push but it's fairly minor - so as the referee, I think you can happily justify either decision.

2nd it's fair to say that Sterling is already on the way over, but the defender is the one dumb enough to put his legs in the way of where Sterling is falling, so can't be surprised if the penalty is given.

100% on this, nothing else to add.

Sterling dived a split second before a careless tackle made contact. Been a few of these this season with players getting better at cheating.
Whilst I guess it should be a penalty and a simulation caution (tough sell indeed) I'd prefer players losing their penalty for it.
On the other hand if he simply vaults the tackle he won't get the pen so....
I'm conflicted.

Sterling dived a split second before a careless tackle made contact. Been a few of these this season with players getting better at cheating.
Whilst I guess it should be a penalty and a simulation caution (tough sell indeed) I'd prefer players losing their penalty for it.
On the other hand if he simply vaults the tackle he won't get the pen so....
I'm conflicted.
If he dived/started to dive before the careless tackle then surely it would just be an IDFK and caution for simulation.

Punishing the offence that happened first.

Back