A&H

Reversing my decision

matty639

Level 5 Referee
So had a game this afternoon, CM for blue team is irate because he disagreed with me cautioning him for a deliberate handball. Two minutes later he's down the other end in the opponents box when he try's to chest the ball down, it kind of looks like the ball rolls down his arm but I wasn't sure so can't give it, a split second later a defender knocks it out for a corner before shouting that he hand balled it, I signal for corner before said blue player says "you got that wrong ref like the last one, this time i did hit with my arm" so I blew my whistle and gave free kick for hand ball. His skipper went nuts at him for it, whilst I will admit to a wry smile.

It did cross my mind for a second caution but figured given I hadn't actually definitely seen it and felt it was probably a bit harsh, I now await accusations of bottling it from some members here.

The Referee Store
For a direct freekick to be given for handball it has to be deliberate handball, but not every deliberate handball is necessarily a caution :)

Why did you caution him for the first handball? (was it a handball that denied a promising attack for example)

Exactly that, other player was trying to flick the ball through to his mate in the box and his arm was up level with his shoulder when he brought it down preventing it going past him.

:D just checking, there is another thread around here with reference to the player myth "deliberate handball means a caution" - have also heard that kind of nonsense on field a good few times recently.

Changing your mind is fine with me, especially if the player cops for it in front of other players. Thanks very much for stopping me from making a mistake, freekick it is!

First time I have ever had the chance to do it. Have had players give cheeky smiles but none openly admit it like he did today, no doubt he won't do it again as his attempt at being a smart arse back fired.

Back