A&H

Returning injured player not allowed back onto pitch

SM

The avuncular one
Was at a welsh premier league game yesterday spectating. A blue defending player went down in a sliding challenge having caught a stray stud from an opponent resulting in bleeding (and a freekick to his opponent).

The blue player rightly goes off for treatment and has a bandage taped on. He is made to go to the half way line where the fourth official inspects for bleeding. 4th official is happy, but the player is held on the half way until the ball goes out of play 3-4 minutes later. He is screaming to get back on (which I can clearly hear from my seat near the opposite touch line) the play is over the other end of the pitch with the other team attacking.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Bear in mind the officials had buzzers and comm kits.

Just seemed bizarre to keep him off for so long. When the ball went out he was allowed back on with no further is inspection of the wound.

The Referee Store
Was at a welsh premier league game yesterday spectating. A blue defending player went down in a sliding challenge having caught a stray stud from an opponent resulting in bleeding (and a freekick to his opponent).

The blue player rightly goes off for treatment and has a bandage taped on. He is made to go to the half way line where the fourth official inspects for bleeding. 4th official is happy, but the player is held on the half way until the ball goes out of play 3-4 minutes later. He is screaming to get back on (which I can clearly hear from my seat near the opposite touch line) the play is over the other end of the pitch with the other team attacking.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Bear in mind the officials had buzzers and comm kits.

Just seemed bizarre to keep him off for so long. When the ball went out he was allowed back on with no further is inspection of the wound.
It depends where play is. I have seen referees delay a player's re-entry where allowing it would give his team a tactical advantage. Once the possibility of the tactical advantage has passed, for example a break in play, then the re-entry is authorised but not in the circumstances you have described.

Equipment issue? Cannot enter until next stoppage.

Bleeding or injury? At referee's behest.

Why this one took so long? Maybe the referee got confused and thought it was an equipment issue?

Back