A&H

Returning after a few years out.

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I have my first game back this Sunday since September 2018 - crazy, it doesn't seem that long ago...

It's a men's 11 a-side match - not sure if maybe I should be easing back in with a few youth games, but looking forward to it anyway.

Any tips/tricks/advice to get back into the groove?

The Referee Store
Don't overthink things would probably be the single most important piece of advice I'd give after a spell out. That and make sure you're completely up-to date with the law changes over the last couple of years.

Don't overthink things would probably be the single most important piece of advice I'd give after a spell out. That and make sure you're completely up-to date with the law changes over the last couple of years.

Cheers, Alex - good advice.

In terms of law changes, I'm thinking DOGSO and sin bins, I've done a refresher with my local FA but can't think of anything else obvious.

Drop ball is another that has changed significantly

Cheers, Alex - good advice.

In terms of law changes, I'm thinking DOGSO and sin bins, I've done a refresher with my local FA but can't think of anything else obvious.
- Team that wins toss can either choose ends or have kick-off
- Dropped balls are now always for the team that last touched the ball, unless touch was inside penalty area, in which case it's dropped for the GK
- Handball
- If you play advantage or allow a quick free kick where you would have cautioned for stopping a promising attack, it's now no caution
- Holding is only a foul if it impedes the opponent's movement
- Yellow and red cards for team officials
- If GK attempts to kick a backpass or throw-in and messes up, he is allowed to pick the ball up
- Attackers must be 1m away from the defensive wall (minimum 3 to be a "wall")
- Goal kicks and defensive free kicks in the penalty area - ball is in play once it's kicked, doesn't have to leave area

- If you play advantage or allow a quick free kick where you would have cautioned for stopping a promising attack, it's now no caution
Saw this happen twice in the past week, neither referee was aware when I asked for the reason behind our players' cautions. To be fair, neither player complained and we're certainly not up in arms about it.

Back