A&H

Restarting after a substitution.

simonwref

Level 6 Referee
Incident from todays game:
Last minute, score is 2-1 to whites, yellows have a corner. Whites want to make a substitution, I blow my whistle and ask the corner taker to wait, I do the substitution and move back towards my position and the oncoming sub is still making his way towards the box. I do not signal to the corner taker, but he then takes the corner. Immediately, with the ball still in the air, I blow my whistle and order it to be retaken. (incidentally, this corner sails out of play, due to the wind). However from the retake, yellows score and whites go mad with me! (captain gets booked for dissent!) Did I do anything wrong? Thanx.

The Referee Store
not in my opinion , so long as your whistle tone and body language were both indicating STOP !!!

You were spot on. A whistle is required to restart the game after a substitution.

Good call.

The fact a goal is scored is nothing to do with you. They should concentrate on defending a little better and perhaps read the laws of the game.

You told the corner taker to wait

Did you add, 'on the whistle' to this instruction at some point prior to him taking the kick

Not obligatory, of course, but worthwhile

Perhaps you did

A similar incident happened in yesterdays game between Millwall and Wolves. Wolves made a substitution before a corner kick was taken. The referee allows the game to re-start before the Wolves defender is in position. Millwall score, and protests galore from Wolves. Always allow substitutes to be in position before re-starting the game.

Frank, he didn't re-start play the player chose to re-start himself without receiving an indication to do so therefore he was correct to order the corner to be re taken.

Back