A&H

Respect

CallumRushton13

Level 6 Referee
So I'm refereeing a tournament today and following the final one of the players calls me a 'f****ing c**t' so I tell him to shut up. He and his team mates then start screaming about how I can't say that and how there should be mutual respect.

I'm sorry but if a player calls me that then I feel it's fair to tell them to shut up.

Rant over

The Referee Store
It depends on the briefing but if normal rules (cards etc) apply then its a straight red for OFFINABUS. If no cards are to be used, I would ensure that his manager takes him off. If there are no subs available, misconduct report… Although that should be done anyway. Don't worry about idiots like them - We've all had games where the players feel the pressure and then take it out on the ref and/or linesmen. Just take proper action (depending on whether cards are to be used) and then stick your report in. Then forget it and prepare for the torrent of abuse next season :) Chin up!

You dig yourself into a bit of a hole if you respond like that, use procedure, it's there for a reason.

You dig yourself into a bit of a hole if you respond like that, use procedure, it's there for a reason.

How do you know that he wasn't told not to use cards? How do you know what his tolerance levels are? I wouldn't expect someone who's said they've had confidence issues in the past to come in slating someone for something as ambiguous as this...

How do you know that he wasn't told not to use cards? How do you know what his tolerance levels are? I wouldn't expect someone who's said they've had confidence issues in the past to come in slating someone for something as ambiguous as this...

Any referee that 'tolerates' that sort of abuse should hang their whistle up immediately.

There is only one course of action that needs to be taken, red card.....or if tournament rules preclude the use of cards (which would make me wonder about how legit it was ) then the player doesn't play again that day.

Absolutely no excuse to not take the strongest action possible for that word.

Padfoot, as much as I agree with your comment about the red card and the top sanction, your comment about the hanging up the whistle is slightly provocative. Don't take this personally, I'm not looking for a debate or anything, but at the end of the day, who are we to say who refs and who doesn't? Everyone has the potential to be a great ref and if someone chooses to take that sort of abuse, each to their own. Personally, I would give a red immediately and be delighted when the S6 confirmation comes through and, if in a league game, their name comes up on the suspended list on the full time FA website (I'm never bitter). However, to say something like that is slightly unfair. But I do see where you're coming from.

The briefing in cards was to ask managers to sub the player instead. That wasn't an issue. This was following the game so no need to follow this procedure anyhow.

Not really sure how it's relevant, but I generally give players that instant reaction to a decision against them. Anything after that, or the use of either 2 c words and I'll take action.

I'm aware that procedures are in place and I follow them. However I don't see the problem in telling a player to shut up. Am I wrong in this view??

Meh, in that situation, it depends on how you feel. Did you get his name or anything? If you were briefed not to, then I doubt you would. Do you remember anything about the player? Number? Etc.

Just so you know... I have sent players for the use of both c words (sometimes together, sometimes separately, almost always aimed at me) this season and have never regretted it

I didn't get his name as it was my view that all games were to be dealt with 'in house' sort of thing. I remember his hair and that's about it.

The briefing in cards was to ask managers to sub the player instead. That wasn't an issue. This was following the game so no need to follow this procedure anyhow.

Not really sure how it's relevant, but I generally give players that instant reaction to a decision against them. Anything after that, or the use of either 2 c words and I'll take action.

I'm aware that procedures are in place and I follow them. However I don't see the problem in telling a player to shut up. Am I wrong in this view??

I understand where you're coming from with the instant frustrated outburst.....but....if his frustrated outburst is to call me a f**king c*nt then that crosses a line from which there is no return.

There are some things that cannot be excused under tolerance levels or any other excuse.......

Was the tournament affiliated to the FA?

Generally speaking, I would advise not to respond to players in that way, whatever they have said. Don't go down to their level (in this instance), and keep professional. In this example, it actually caused dissent in the way you responded. Just to keep integrity and professionalism I wouldn't say things like 'Shut up', or comment on/insult the players in anyway.

I would say put this down to experience. No harm done, and just learn from it to aid your game in a beneficial way. I understand why you've said it, and don't blame you at all, but I would just try to stay professional in the eyes of the players, coaches/managers and spectators.

To his comments today re mutual respect, I would've replied 'Yes, I agree there is a need for mutual respect, but you haven't shown me any with what you have just called me, so you can't expect it back' or something along those lines. Something that points out there can be no mutual respect if he calls you that.

Hmm, I'd prefer not to put that in a misconduct report :p You could choose to report the club for not handling their players properly or something? Idk, I must just be a fan of trying to make people suffer. Taking my dark side out of context, just keep calm however difficult and just think to yourself 'I'm getting paid and he's not' purely so you can keep a positive outlook on the game.

I understand where you're coming from with the instant frustrated outburst.....but....if his frustrated outburst is to call me a f**king c*nt then that crosses a line from which there is no return.

There are some things that cannot be excused under tolerance levels or any other excuse.......

Was the tournament affiliated to the FA?

I 100% agree. Outburst 1- p**s off... I'll have a word. Outburst 2- p**s off you c**t... Have a shower pal

I don't know if it was affiliated...

And I am normally a very calm ref, but that word gets me haha. So does cheat. I don't think any harm was done really and as I don't know his name or number or if the tournent was affiliated I won't be putting a report in. Was a big learning curve but in happy with my performance across the day and very one apart from this team were brilliant.

Roll on the summer

I'm not slating him, I'm just stating that as it's after the game, clearly he can't send him off so take his name and send in a misconduct report about him and not respond to his comment because that can cause problems for him, as said above it's going down to their level and not staying professional, and with the outcome the player has got off scott free.

I don't know if it was affiliated...

And I am normally a very calm ref, but that word gets me haha. So does cheat. I don't think any harm was done really and as I don't know his name or number or if the tournent was affiliated I won't be putting a report in. Was a big learning curve but in happy with my performance across the day and very one apart from this team were brilliant.

Roll on the summer

If not affiliated, then there are a number of concerns you should have:
1. Putting in a report to the CFA will produce no action against the player (even if you had his name) - as not an affiliated match.
2. You could be liable to be charged by the CFA yourself for officiating at an un-affiliated match. This could lead to suspension for you, withdrawal from a promotion scheme, etc
3. Your RA insurance would not be valid if anything happened to you.

While helping at tournments is fun in the summer, make sure that they are affiliated otherwise you have no real backup.

If not affiliated, then there are a number of concerns you should have:
1. Putting in a report to the CFA will produce no action against the player (even if you had his name) - as not an affiliated match.
2. You could be liable to be charged by the CFA yourself for officiating at an un-affiliated match. This could lead to suspension for you, withdrawal from a promotion scheme, etc
3. Your RA insurance would not be valid if anything happened to you.

While helping at tournments is fun in the summer, make sure that they are affiliated otherwise you have no real backup.
Okay, I didn't even think to check if it was affiliated or to take the players name.

Not the best day I've had in terms of procedure etc.

Ahh wel. Roll on the season

Back