A&H

Respect handshake

Are Respect handshakes benefitting football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian Mitchell

Level 5 Referee
Both Malky Mackay at Cardiff and Mark Hughes at QPR have said recently in the press that the pre-match handshake is more trouble than it's worth, referring to Suarez-Evra and Ferdinand-Terry respectively.

I think that those two high profile incidents are the only negatives from thousands of handshakes that must have taken place since it was introduced, and my games certainly benefit from lining up and walking out together.

The Referee Store
I think that the handshake is beneficial to football. Like you said, the incidents previously mentioned are only a fraction of the sucessful handshakes.

I think that the handshake is beneficial to football. Like you said, the incidents previously mentioned are only a fraction of the sucessful handshakes.

At present I experience this on UCL games and Cup Finals only, but I think it should be at all levels of football.
My son who is 15 and has qualified as a referee has this on all of his junior games in the Peterborough Junior Alliance and the kids seem to expect it and always accept it.

Id like to see it in more games also, i realise a lot of people who play don't like it, but for the sake of a few minutes, is it really such a hard ship?

Back