A&H

Resigning from refereeing

LHref

As you may be aware there was an attempted assault on myself recently. I had the hearing at Notts FA and the result has been returned as "Not Proven". I feel let down by the entire process and no longer feel safe refereeing. I will therefore not be refereeing any longer.

The Referee Store
Thats really awful to hear. I hope perhaps with time you change your mind and dont let the idiots ruin your fun. Although thats easy for me to say as I've fortunately never been assaulted while refereeing.

As you may be aware there was an attempted assault on myself recently. I had the hearing at Notts FA and the result has been returned as "Not Proven". I feel let down by the entire process and no longer feel safe refereeing. I will therefore not be refereeing any longer.

Very sad to lose a colleague from our ranks at any time, especially for such a serious and unacceptable offence.

I too hope you'll return to the family, I would hope your local RA branch/society have been informed by you about this matter? The support they offered me many moons ago when a player attempted to butt me in the face was without equal, actually made me more determined to carry on.

Good luck LHref, a big decision only you can make, but like a dear old referee friend told me at the time, "Refereeing's not like being in a John Wayne movie, in our business the good guys all wear black!"

Why was the charge not proven?

I think you need to press your CFA for an explanation.

Sorry to hear that LH. :(

Agree with Padfoot, I think at the very least your CFA should provide you with some kind of explanation as to why they have failed to back you.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. Hopefully in time the buzz you got from refereeing will return and far outweigh any negative feelings that you may have after this unacceptable incident!

Be very interested to know what has happened here.
You sent in a report stating an attempted assault took place.
Unless you retracted this statement at the hearing I cannot fathom how this can go "not proven".
I'd be as p***ed as you are

Seems a very odd state of affairs. If there were no witnesses then if it comes down to your word against his, I would expect the CFA to side with you, if that has not been the case then that raises many issues

Rereading your original post from November it's hard to see how there are no witnesses or how not an assault / attempted assault on you. Something clearly amiss. Are they taking the line that it's only an assault if a player's fist makes contact with a referee's teeth?

Having been in a situation of this nature, witnesses are not always forthcoming because people either don't want to be involved or are put off by the formal nature (and late evening requirement) of attendance.

@LHref I can understand the feeling of being let down (I appreciate that this is an understatement). However, why let a small bunch of idiots prevent you from doing what you love doing? Get your RA involved and if nothing more, get a letter expressing your severe disappointment at the outcome on record from you and the RA.

Do not let the b'stards grind you down.

Very sad to hear but I completely understand. I always said if my FA ever let me down over a serious incident like that I'd walk.

Really sorry to hear this. The behaviour of the CFA in finding something like this "not proven" is, quite frankly, appalling; is a referee going to be killed before they start to deal with assault properly?

Unfortunately, something similar happened to me back in August, and the CFA found that the charge was not proven. Much like you, I was livid and contemplated walking away from the game. However, I took a month off instead and since I came back, I've enjoyed reffing more than I have for years. I felt like I'd be letting the idiots win by giving up!

Please don't let the idiots (or the FA) force you out of the game. Take a break and see how you feel, it may be just what you need! :)

Hi all, Thanks for your support. County FA has offered no further explanation for the decision. In terms of the hearing itself there were a couple of witnesses saying that the incident did not happen whatsoever. But their stories did not tally regarding the incident one said that the offender left the pitch immediately and the other witness said that he came towards me but that nothing happened. I am still p*****d off about the whole thing but will consider giving refereeing another chance after a very long break!

Sorry to hear that LH. :(

Agree with Padfoot, I think at the very least your CFA should provide you with some kind of explanation as to why they have failed to back you.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. Hopefully in time the buzz you got from refereeing will return and far outweigh any negative feelings that you may have after this unacceptable incident!

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Having been in a situation of this nature, witnesses are not always forthcoming because people either don't want to be involved or are put off by the formal nature (and late evening requirement) of attendance.

@LHref I can understand the feeling of being let down (I appreciate that this is an understatement). However, why let a small bunch of idiots prevent you from doing what you love doing? Get your RA involved and if nothing more, get a letter expressing your severe disappointment at the outcome on record from you and the RA.

Do not let the b'stards grind you down.

AND THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Best wishes my friend, whatever you decide to do. :)

Hi all, Thanks for your support. County FA has offered no further explanation for the decision. In terms of the hearing itself there were a couple of witnesses saying that the incident did not happen whatsoever. But their stories did not tally regarding the incident one said that the offender left the pitch immediately and the other witness said that he came towards me but that nothing happened. I am still p*****d off about the whole thing but will consider giving refereeing another chance after a very long break!

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Did you speak to anyone more experienced before you submitted your reports? I can only think they were weak that's why they appealed and got off?

Call Marc! He's a great bloke. Have a break and come back stronger in the new year!

I think the problem with hearings is that player and club can bring as many witnesses as they want, who can all concoct a story that tallies beforehand. Witnesses are not sought from the other team.
I have only attended an appeal hearing once for a clear headbutt on an opponent. Defence brought about 6 witnesses but club of player who had been attacked were not contacted to give any evidence. cfa found not proven as my version with 1 account was not believed ivo 6 witness accounts saying nothing happened. To add insult to injury I had to listen to all these witnesses getting digs in of referee was rubbish, referee had terrible game etc.

To add insult to injury I had to listen to all these witnesses getting digs in of referee was rubbish, referee had terrible game etc.
I had to bite my tongue until it bled when I was called to an Appeal hearing. They do indeed agree what story to tell beforehand BUT in my case when cross examined one said something completely contrary to his mate so the panel sided with me.

Thats really awful to hear. I hope perhaps with time you change your mind and dont let the idiots ruin your fun. Although thats easy for me to say as I've fortunately never been assaulted while refereeing.

Sums up my response 100%, must be very dispiriting to go through the whole process and end up with that verdict.

Back