A&H

Reported Wrong Name for Player

Desormes

Unfortunately, I did not ask a player for his name when I sent him off. I checked the team sheet and on my report I have put the wrong name, very similar, but misread the writing on the team sheet.
Will the player have grounds to have the dismissal overturned due to my mistake?

The Referee Store
I did this once, quick email from County FA asking if they could change it to another player. I wasn't convinced I got it wrong but reluctantly agreed. I wouldn't expect it to be overturned on that basis.

The player you named by mistake is almost certain to appeal (and be successful). Whether there is any comeback against the real offender depends on the attitude and procedures of the relevant league/association.

Unfortunately, I did not ask a player for his name when I sent him off. I checked the team sheet and on my report I have put the wrong name, very similar, but misread the writing on the team sheet.
Will the player have grounds to have the dismissal overturned due to my mistake?

Always follow the procedure for disciplinary stuff.

Whistle, Isolate player, Take name, Explain, Show card. ;) :)

Only if the CFA have issued the charge notice. If you have let the CFA know before they send it, then they will amend it.

No, I know it has been sent to the club, that is how I know the name is incorrect as there is no player of that name on the teamsheet. My mistake I know Ok I might get disciplined or wrist slapped for not doing it in accordance with area guidelines etc, but would he have right of appeal?

No, I know it has been sent to the club, that is how I know the name is incorrect as there is no player of that name on the teamsheet. My mistake I know Ok I might get disciplined or wrist slapped for not doing it in accordance with area guidelines etc, but would he have right of appeal?

Yes, mistaken identity is still one of the few appeals clubs have got. However, the CFA normally require the club to give up the correct name in response.

Yes, you have made a mistake and will learn from it.

Back