A&H

República de Panamá v Inglaterra

Good to see a referee finally dealing with grappling and holding ...

… but, his management of the game has been very poor. At both corners he allowed Panama players to keep coming back into the penalty area to try and put Kane off. If a level 7 referee did that I'd be criticising, incredible that a FIFA referee is so weak. It didn't start well when he penalised Lingard after he was elbowed in the face. Then he missed a horrible elbow on Maguire right at the end of the half.

Also can't believe how little time was added on. Five goals, one of which had a long delay after they reviewed for an offside. Two penalties which took at least two minutes each to take, injuries, and delays due to holding at every corner and set piece. All that amounted to less than 3 minutes according to the referee. Suppose there's an argument to say the scoreline means it doesn't matter, but I suspect it would have been the same had it been goalless or just one goal in it.

The Referee Store
5-0 down and it’s only half time against inferior opposition who relish in cheating and the dark arts....

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you team Australia! :(

I feel some sympathy for Panama here. They are only doing what they have seen other teams doing in this tournament.

The lack of cards early in the tournament has a lot to answer for. I think we are going to have a few more surprise moments in the last group games with e.g. SPA yellows in tight games that would not (were not) given in the groups.

With the first pen replays show the def got a bit of ball and plenty of man. Not quite as clear cut as enthusiastic Alan suggested;)

Great the ref gave the holding pen.

Has to be one of the luckiest goals I've ever seen. I'm not complaining though, at least Ronaldo ain't top scorer

Bit odd that we didn’t try to get the goal difference goal at the end.

Are we gonna have England Belgium 0-0 with all the squad players on trying to get SPA, dissent and delaying the restart yellow cards to break the tie breaker and finish second in the group?!?!?

Does anyone know the ramifications for topping the group? My understanding is it will go down to fair play if the Belgium game is drawn

Does anyone know the ramifications for topping the group? My understanding is it will go down to fair play if the Belgium game is drawn
Whoever wins the group will play all their remaining games at 7pm UK time. I'd prefer it to be England.

There were some tight decisions in that game, but we've now gone an impressive 30 matches without a single offside decision being overturned by VAR. A really impressive tournament by the assistant refs.

There were some tight decisions in that game, but we've now gone an impressive 30 matches without a single offside decision being overturned by VAR. A really impressive tournament by the assistant refs.
For that to happen a goal has to be scored from an offside or a penalty awarded. The has been a few incorrect calls but none leading to goal or pen.

For that to happen a goal has to be scored from an offside or a penalty awarded. The has been a few incorrect calls but none leading to goal or pen.

I know, but I can remember multiple goals from previous World Cups being incorrectly awarded or waived off. The ARs have been incredible so far.

Reactions: one
Although at this point I'm going to stop posting on this forum for a while. It seems now that anytime I post something I get a snark remark from BC or Yampy.

Bye

@cwyeary your contribution is appreciated

At times it's seems like you are finding excuses to back the VAR when it's obviously wrong, just as those who don't like it are at times finding excuses to bash VAR when it's done things well.

If Germany finish second and Brazil top their group then finishinh behind Belgium is the way to go. That would also explain why we tried not to score in the second half.;)

Back