A&H

Removing Shirt

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
I had a game recently (U21's, so the players, as you can imagine naturally had rather large chips on their shoulders).

A foul occurred in the middle of the pitch, at which point two opposing players 'squared up', chest to chest. As I was making my way towards the incident from 20 yards away, I had already decided I was going to caution both of the players for AA, as it was nailed on. After I had got to the incident one of the players started to do what I can only describe as a 'ring walk' where he removed his shirt and was bouncing about the field like he was about to enter the ring with Anthony Joshua.

I told him to put his shirt back on and to calm down, which he did instantly, which I found strange based on his demeanor seconds earlier.

I administered a caution to both players as I had originally intended.

Should I have cautioned the player who removed his shirt, a second time immediately after the first caution was administered, like a three card trick??

Had I have already cautioned him 'Premier League stylee' immediately as I got to the incident (ie worked off shirt number) and he had then removed his shirt and started bouncing about the field, I know I would have cautioned him again.

First time such an incident has occurred and I must admit I was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights!

What would you have done??

The Referee Store
Probably punished the worst offence and as they are both USB I would have done exactly what you did and give him a yellow.

Probably say something to the effect of 'don't be a muppet and get yourself a second'

Probably punished the worst offence and as they are both USB I would have done exactly what you did and give him a yellow.

Probably say something to the effect of 'don't be a muppet and get yourself a second'
That is near enough word for word what I said to the lad.

The caution for a player removing his shirt is only mandatory if it is done when celebrating a goal so you don't have to caution in this instance although you certainly could do if you wanted to - "shows lack of respect for the game" if nothing else.

From what you say above, it sounds like the player just got a bit carried away and quickly realised what an idiot he had been and so the single yellow was enough.

I had a game recently (U21's, so the players, as you can imagine naturally had rather large chips on their shoulders).

A foul occurred in the middle of the pitch, at which point two opposing players 'squared up', chest to chest. As I was making my way towards the incident from 20 yards away, I had already decided I was going to caution both of the players for AA, as it was nailed on. After I had got to the incident one of the players started to do what I can only describe as a 'ring walk' where he removed his shirt and was bouncing about the field like he was about to enter the ring with Anthony Joshua.

I told him to put his shirt back on and to calm down, which he did instantly, which I found strange based on his demeanor seconds earlier.

I administered a caution to both players as I had originally intended.

Should I have cautioned the player who removed his shirt, a second time immediately after the first caution was administered, like a three card trick??

Had I have already cautioned him 'Premier League stylee' immediately as I got to the incident (ie worked off shirt number) and he had then removed his shirt and started bouncing about the field, I know I would have cautioned him again.

First time such an incident has occurred and I must admit I was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights!

What would you have done??

I think you did the right thing.

Had you told him to put the shirt on and he refused or did something else stupid, perhaps a different outcome.

As others said, removing the shirt isn't a specific offence here. He's removed it as part of being an absolute clown, but it's all part of the once incident which you're booking him for anyway. It would be like showing a player 2 cards for USB (AAA) if he squares up to an opponent, then if he starts pushing him.

Back