The Ref Stop

Remembering who you have booked

You would have been torn by the decision correctly made at Wimborne three weeks ago then . . first yellow for delaying a restart, second for feinting after completing run up at a penalty . . .
Ref is our local RA chairman. We meet on Monday. I know what the first half hour will be about šŸ˜‚ Canā€™t wait!

The Ref Stop
You would have been torn by the decision correctly made at Wimborne three weeks ago then . . first yellow for delaying a restart, second for feinting after completing run up at a penalty . . .
Are you saying that anything you would ever issue a first caution for, you would also issue a second caution for?

Agree. That was classic play silly games get silly prizes moment.
When the options are caution send off or allow a goal and the question is the kicker commits a mandatory caution offence there's only one option viable option there.
You may very well lament the 1st caution, but i refer to my opening statement regarding the 2nd offence.
I agree - but several referees have stated they would not have dismissed for a technical offence (as opposed to an unfair physical challenge)
I would have!

If the offence merits a caution yes - too many are using "I tried to manage it" for obvious cautionable offences when the player has already been cautioned.
If the offence is an obvious caution then it shouldn't be managed, I agree, but there are offences which may not be 'obvious' but are still cautionable or not cautionable depending on temperature of game and a few other factors for which a referee may wish to not issue a second caution, but they may issue a first.
Nobody is going to thank you long term for sending a player off for a questionable SPA off the back of a genuine attempt to win the ball, but if you've got a situation where one team have had 3-4 cautions, the other have not had any, the team who has had one is leading and the same 'questionable' SPA occurs, you may choose to caution for it to aid your match control.

Edit: When I say questionable I mean not necessarily ticking all the boxes for SPA but still has hints of SPA.

If the offence is an obvious caution then it shouldn't be managed, I agree, but there are offences which may not be 'obvious' but are still cautionable or not cautionable depending on temperature of game and a few other factors for which a referee may wish to not issue a second caution, but they may issue a first.
Nobody is going to thank you long term for sending a player off for a questionable SPA off the back of a genuine attempt to win the ball, but if you've got a situation where one team have had 3-4 cautions, the other have not had any, the team who has had one is leading and the same 'questionable' SPA occurs, you may choose to caution for it to aid your match control.

Edit: When I say questionable I mean not necessarily ticking all the boxes for SPA but still has hints of SPA.
I understand the game, but see too many "thought I would manage it" situations!

Imagine if it was lashing down, if your hand got wet and writing got blurry and you were squinting and moving your hand up and down to try and focus... what would that look like...
A better look than showing someone a second caution and not sending them off, I'd rather look a bit daft than get a 21 day rest šŸ˜‚

Same reason I write the captains names on the inside of my hand, I can never remember them so a quick glance sorts that. Plus I find it difficult to believe that most referees don't take into account that a player is already on a caution when considering a possible second one, after all the PGMOL referees have been told that the bar needs to be higher for second cautions. I'm not talking mandatory cautions here, but if someone commits a foul that is somewhere between careless and reckless I think, even if subconsciously, most referees will go the former for someone already on a card. Or if someone makes a comment that might have you twitching for your pocket for someone not on a caution might get a different reaction when they already have one. There's nothing more likely to destroy your clubs marks than a second caution for dissent when you are the only person that heard it.

Iā€™m working a lot with comms and mostly experienced or well-trained up and coming ARs and refsā€¦ itā€™s really common to regularly recap the cautions (ref or AR2) and for AR1 to highlight if a cautioned player has been subbed.

Without comms I do the same in my head. Itā€™s really important, especially with problem players and flashpoints. No one wants to see a cheap second yellow for ahem ā€œhandbagsā€ and it presents so much better if you are proactive and positioned well if you need to sell a second yellow.

Iā€™m working a lot with comms and mostly experienced or well-trained up and coming ARs and refsā€¦ itā€™s really common to regularly recap the cautions (ref or AR2) and for AR1 to highlight if a cautioned player has been subbed.

Without comms I do the same in my head. Itā€™s really important, especially with problem players and flashpoints. No one wants to see a cheap second yellow for ahem ā€œhandbagsā€ and it presents so much better if you are proactive and positioned well if you need to sell a second yellow.
It happened this season in the EPL, a couple of players got involved in a pushing match and the referee clearly had his yellow card out. He then obviously remembered that one of the players had already been cautioned, put the card away and just issued a verbal warning to both. Can't remember which game it was, although I have it in my head that David Coote was the referee. He'd have got absolute pelters had he sent one player off for that.

Interesting that so many referees feel the need to know which players they have cautioned.
Surely it's never to allow them to reconsider whether the offence just committed merits a (second) caution(?)
I like this, as technically Chas is spot on, a caution should be consistent to ensure a fair game.

However, temperature management. Game is getting a little out of hand. You decide an area of the pitch needs cautioned to calm things down. Then a tackle that is somewhere between careless and reckless happens but you spot the player is already on a yellow.

Common sense (for me) says it is time for a very public rebuke.

I had one recently. Freekick, player does a very soft tap the ball away, lesser than Declan Rice incident. It annoyed me so cautioned, as I was taking his name and number with the yellow in my hand, it dawned on me he was already on a yellow. So dismissed him right in front of the benches. Won no friends that day. If I had known he was on a yellow I would have gone trifling.

Back