A&H

Remarks from Speactors

Matt Jarvis

Level 5 Referee
Hi,

I had an u16 match today and a comment was made by the speactors over my award of a penalty to the home team, He called me a ****ing joke and also done the glasses sign with his hands. Give credit to the manager he stepped in and ask the person to leave.

Should this of been reported to County

The Referee Store
Nup abandon the match and buy a disguise so he can't hunt you down. Dangerous these glasses signs people.

At the next 50/50 decision you make which goes AGAINST the team he's bellowing for, as you slowly signal with your arm, look him in the eye, smile, and wink at him, it better than spraying them with mace!

I recently had an incident where I clearly heard a spectator shout across to my CAR on the far side "you cheating g1t" ... he wasn't having a great game - but - once he picks up my flag he is on my team for the game so I am immediately protective of him ...

I did something a bit silly

Ball was in play - I hit the whistle hard and repetitively (it was windy) - marched over to the group of spectators from where the abuse came - and publically told them if I hear it again I will abandon the game

Re-started with a drop ball

I guess it worked (didn't hear another peep) - and the managers seemed to accept it when I told them what I'd done - but with hindsight - it was too strong a reaction from me ...

My norm would be to have a quiet word in passing with a team official and / or (if it happened in the first half) - pop over to the spectators and defuse it calmly by chatting to them

had an incident occur this weekend, home side taking a throw in as he runs up a supporter for the away side steps forward and shouts loudly in the throw in takers ear much to the delight of his fellow supporters.

When the ball is next out of play I walked over to the spectator and politely asked him to refrain from shouting at the opposition players his response was, "I can do what i want its a public area so jog on and do your job". Luckily I was able to speak to the away side manager who had a stern word and the game continued without the need for further action

had an incident occur this weekend, home side taking a throw in as he runs up a supporter for the away side steps forward and shouts loudly in the throw in takers ear much to the delight of his fellow supporters.

When the ball is next out of play I walked over to the spectator and politely asked him to refrain from shouting at the opposition players his response was, "I can do what i want its a public area so jog on and do your job". Luckily I was able to speak to the away side manager who had a stern word and the game continued without the need for further action

This gentleman would be leaving the vicinity of the pitch before the match carried were it to happen in my match.
Go to the home club though, don't ever address spectators.
If the home team seem reluctant to do anything inform them the match will not continue and will be abandoned in 2 minutes.
Has never failed to work in 9 years

What would you do?
U12 game yesterday. Crunching tackle goes in hard but fair IMO. Two players writhing on the floor a bit, I allow play to continue for about 10 seconds before realising one of the boys is actually hurting a bit. Whistle and call on the coaches.
At that the parent of one of the boys comes running on screaming "You want to f**ing watch the f***ing game can't you see he's f***ing kicked him in the face and in the f**ing chest, if you'd been watching the f***ing game you'd have seen this."
The players standing around all shrugged their shoulders in disbelief.
I did nothing, but restarted with an unchallenged drop ball back to the 'keeper and we go on with it.
I had preconceived view on this team before the match (I'd run the line at their previous encounter where the boys' language was a little industrial) about the boys, but thought the parents were OK.
I am not a young ref, but I could see how this kind of behaviour could be intimidating for new, young refs.
All I needed to do was refrain from giving him a load of verbal back.

What would you do?
U12 game yesterday. Crunching tackle goes in hard but fair IMO. Two players writhing on the floor a bit, I allow play to continue for about 10 seconds before realising one of the boys is actually hurting a bit. Whistle and call on the coaches.
At that the parent of one of the boys comes running on screaming "You want to f**ing watch the f***ing game can't you see he's f***ing kicked him in the face and in the f**ing chest, if you'd been watching the f***ing game you'd have seen this."
I did nothing, but restarted with an unchallenged drop ball back to the 'keeper and we go on with it.
I had preconceived view on this team before the match (I'd run the line at their previous encounter where the boys' language was a little industrial) about the boys, but thought the parents were OK.
I am not a young ref, but I could see how this kind of behaviour could be intimidating for new, young refs.

I've bolded the key bit here.

I'd have had him removed from the vicinity before continuing with the game. Aggressive behaviour and appalling lannguage like that has no place in football. You can't allow that kind of behaviour to go unpunished, just think how the 14 year old kid who turns up to ref them next week would feel in that situation.

He did retreat behind the "Respect" barrier and there wasn't a peep out of him for the rest of the game.
Not having had to remove anyone before, what's the best way when they're quite aggresive?

What would you do?

No WAY this match is continuing with this muppet within 100m of the pitch!

He did retreat behind the "Respect" barrier and there wasn't a peep out of him for the rest of the game.
Not having had to remove anyone before, what's the best way when they're quite aggresive?

Never deal with the spectator directly, speak to the coach and inform him that the game will not continue until the troublesome spectator has left the vicinity. The threat of abandonment is usually enough to force the coach to take action.

The one time where the home manager was very reluctant to get involved, I reminded him that his club would likely receive a sanction from County for failing to control spectators, sanctions from County and the league for the abandonment that would soon be happening, and a bunch of unhappy lads that will have only played 15 minutes of football. He still wasn't keen, but got on with it. It's no surprise how some lads behave on the pitch when their mother's behave like this one did (yes, his mother).

I'd be speaking to both managers to identify which team the parent belonged to, then getting their name then getting them removed before restarting the game.

Submit the report and move on to the next game.

Back