A&H

Relocating to the north west

taref95

New to the whistle!
Hello,

I am relocating to Wigan, Greater Manchester from Hampshire in August. I am just wondering with several counties in the north west of England which county and leagues would you recommend to join as a level 6 referee. I am keen to progress as much as I can.

Are there any referee development groups and referee associations you can recommend too?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Pretty sure Wigan Referees Association/ Society is a good setup and I think Paul Tierney and Emily Carney are members there as well, though that could be wrong.

Hello,

I am relocating to Wigan, Greater Manchester from Hampshire due to work commitments in August. I am just wondering with several counties in the north west of England which county and leagues would you recommend to join as a level 6 referee. I am keen to progress as much as I can.

Are there any referee development groups and referee associations you can recommend too?

Thanks,
Tom
I'd be looking at the Cheshire or Manchester league as an AR and reffing their reserve and feeder leagues.
Possibly looking at the Lancashire leagues as well.
That's what I did when based in Warrington which is not too far away and reffed a few sides over Wigan way.

Hi James,

Thank you for getting in touch. Can you recommend which reserve and feeder leagues please would be good to join?

Regards, Tom

Last edited:
Pretty sure Wigan Referees Association/ Society is a good setup and I think Paul Tierney and Emily Carney are members there as well, though that could be wrong.
Hi James,

Interesting to know. I will take a look at Wigan RA.

Regards,
Tom

I’d second the Manchester League as well, the current, retiring referee secretary is a member at the same referees association as me and it seems to be a really well run league. Though if you’re in Wigan some games could be a bit of a trek.

Hi James,

Thank you for getting in touch. Do you have recommendation with which reserve and feeder leagues please?

Regards, Tom
They are linked to th e leagues I mentioned.
you have the Cheshire/Manchester premier leagues (which were step 7 supply leagues a few years ago) and they have a league 1 and 2 under them and reserve sides.
You'll find reasonable facilities as well

loads of leagues in this neck of the woods, I'm south of the border in Warrington and can pass on contact details for leagues in Warrington, St Helens, Bolton & Bury, Mid Cheshire etc. Depends what level you are looking to referee at and if junior or open age or both? Don't know about Wigan RA but am part of a Warrington referee development group. As long as you don't want to talk rugby, you'll be very welcome

Hello,

I am relocating to Wigan, Greater Manchester from Hampshire in August. I am just wondering with several counties in the north west of England which county and leagues would you recommend to join as a level 6 referee. I am keen to progress as much as I can.

Thanks,
Tom
Not too sure, as I've just cleared Level Y, but I'm with Manchester FA, and I know they have a development group, then an Academy, and a senior referees group, helping people to progress up the ladder. Seems better than Lancashire FA from what I know. As for leagues, shouts for Manchester League aren't too bad, and there's the North West Counties once you find yourself at 4

Back