A&H

relationships with teams/managers

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Wasn't sure where to put this so hoping this is the right subforum!

I am in a rural CFA now and don't drive so most of the games I do in the country Women's and Girls league is for one local clubs home games (U15/16/Womens mostly).

Obviously this means I get to know their managers fairly well compared to other teams based an hour plus away.

I keep things professional and am not high fiving them as we come off at full time, but their U16 coach recently gave me a nike coat off the ref store that his family member had been given for free amongst a bunch of ref kit.

It's "only" grassroots but in my professional job (media) this would be toeing a very careful line for ethics, any tips on managing this?

The Referee Store
Wasn't sure where to put this so hoping this is the right subforum!

I am in a rural CFA now and don't drive so most of the games I do in the country Women's and Girls league is for one local clubs home games (U15/16/Womens mostly).

Obviously this means I get to know their managers fairly well compared to other teams based an hour plus away.

I keep things professional and am not high fiving them as we come off at full time, but their U16 coach recently gave me a nike coat off the ref store that his family member had been given for free amongst a bunch of ref kit.

It's "only" grassroots but in my professional job (media) this would be toeing a very careful line for ethics, any tips on managing this?
Not an issue for me.

No different to a player you regularly referee, offering to buy you a pint when he sees you in the pub that evening.

Don't publicise the fact and just make sure you're impartial and professional whenever you step out onto the field. :) 👍

Totally agree with the above, a non-issue for me. Don't advertise the fact, remain impartial and professional as i'm sure you are and there's nothing to see here.

Don't publicise the fact and just make sure you're impartial and professional whenever you step out onto the field. :) 👍
Cheers! Always impartial of course, they're just a very friendly club across all levels by the sounds of it. I'm not local originally so zero affinity for the club personally. Appreciate it!

I’ve ended up getting to know the coaches and helpers at two local clubs from u8 through to the mens 4th tier. I’ve refereed so many of their games at all levels and I’ve always been the same - treat everyone with respect, always say the same pre-match to the visiting coach. Conscious not to start chatting before or after matches.

It can be hard when the coaches are then playing in hobby leagues. The classic thing: I’ve found i actually don’t favour people i know. Every time I have a “friend” on the field, there’s always a harsh tackle/foul on them i let go!

But with these teams you get to know - when it’s match day you must take on your role and be neutral. Take a free doughnut, t-shirt no problem. But on match day take your role every time without fail - you will get respect, the matches will be better for it, and I think it can also be a really rewarding way to be part of the football family.

And if you feel someone is trying to take advantage contact your RDO;)

Back