A&H

Registration

callmemyref

Hi,

I’m coming from abroad, I have refereed 3 matches.

I will move to the UK in September, please tell me what do I need to start refereeing as soon I’min the UK?

The Referee Store
Coming from abroad you need to contact the county FA that you will be registered with, they will then contact your overseas FA to determine your qualifications and what level you should be placed at.

as you have only done 3 matches, you want be able to apply promotion (see other thread) for a full season. In England, you are expected to have done 20 matches before you can apply for promotion.

In England, registration with the County FA (CFA) is on a strict address basis, so until you know your address you cannot register with a CFA. At local level, football is run be the CFA.

Hi @Zeigermaher

Welcome to the forum, and welcome (in advance!) to country.

There is no real structural difference between level 7 and 6, level 6 is more your first stepping stone to the higher levels. Worth going for promotion from 7 to 6, but there is no rush.

At level 7 you can still do a range of games as referee, OA (open age - adults), youth football, anything from U18 down, Saturday leagues, Sunday leagues. Plus you will able to do the line on some higher league games.

My suggestion would be to spend this season as a level 7, finding out about the structure of English football, what leagues you want to officiate on, and then possibly embark on promotion the following season (starting June 2021)

once again, welcome!

Hi @Zeigermaher

Welcome to the forum, and welcome (in advance!) to country.

There is no real structural difference between level 7 and 6, level 6 is more your first stepping stone to the higher levels. Worth going for promotion from 7 to 6, but there is no rush.

At level 7 you can still do a range of games as referee, OA (open age - adults), youth football, anything from U18 down, Saturday leagues, Sunday leagues. Plus you will able to do the line on some higher league games.

My suggestion would be to spend this season as a level 7, finding out about the structure of English football, what leagues you want to officiate on, and then possibly embark on promotion the following season (starting June 2021)

once again, welcome!
Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Actually I think you are right, but only think I want to gain experience as much as possible as soon I will be in the UK.

What do you think when will I be able to start referring matches this year? And when season starts and finishes ?

Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Actually I think you are right, but only think I want to gain experience as much as possible as soon I will be in the UK.

What do you think when will I be able to start referring matches this year? And when season starts and finishes ?

Normally most grass roots leagues run September to April or May. No one knows when next season will start though.

Which leagues will I serve being L7?

That depends where you move to. That area will have local leagues and you will need to register with one or more of those. To be honest, you are trying to run before you can walk and until you have actually moved over here a lot of your questions can't really be answered.

Once you move to the UK and have a UK address that will allow you to register with a county FA that controls that area. That in its own right will likely take some time as you will have to go through what is known as "international clearance". Once that is done the RDO (Referee Development Officer) of that county will be able to tell you what are suitable leagues to apply to join.

Hi @Zeigermaher

I went through the exact same process last year. Everything was relatively straight forward but it will take time, at least a few weeks to get the paperwork sorted. Contact the RDO in the county you'll be moving too and they should give you any instructions you need and help get you registered. Once registered your RDO will be able to advise you on which leagues will be suitable. Also, keep in mind that some RDOs may still be on furlough if you are emailing then now.

In terms of promotion, I believe you have to spend at least one season at L7 before applying for promotion so I don't think that would even be an option. Regardless, experience is key so get in a lot more matches thinking about promotion.

Back