A&H

Referring my first game

Liamref1

Grassroots Referee
Hi all I have just recently finished my referring course and I have my first game on the first of September for under 11s and I was just wondering if there were any key tips and you can give before the game I am relatively confident but a bit anxious as it is my first game thanks

A&H International
Get the simple stuff right to start with.

• Get your bag ready the night before.
  • Arrive in plenty of time - at least 30mins.
  • Be confident on the outside even if you don't feel it on the inside.
  • Speak to the coaches and introduce yourself. You don't need to let them know it's your first game.
  • Practice blowing your whistle at home, so that when you do it for real at the point you call in the captains and whistle the start it sounds crisp and confident. The whistle is your voice on the pitch.
  • Crisp, confident and clear signals. Even if you don't know, just bang it out and people will trust you.
  • Practice at home in the mirror. Honestly... practice in the mirror.
  • Accept that you will make some mistakes, but the players will too. It's part of being human.

Enjoy it.

Make sure you know how long each half is supposed to be.

Make sure your watch is timing!

Try your best to relax. They are young, so let them play and try and think that at that age group most, if not all things will be accidental.

Good luck. Enjoy it.

Hi all I have just recently finished my referring course and I have my first game on the first of September for under 11s and I was just wondering if there were any key tips and you can give before the game I am relatively confident but a bit anxious as it is my first game thanks
My youth league has some specific rules that yours may have too (no heading etc) these are introduced by the fa for youth leagues but are not taken on by all, check with your referee's secretary about that.

into the day before, whatever you do, don't go on a massive run. nobody runs a marathon before running a marathon. pack your bag the night before, you can find videos on youtube of what to pack (i specifically recommend refsix's video). have an early night and get plenty of sleep, try not to think about the game too much.

on the day of the game, turn up in your kit (there may not be changing rooms) , be kind but also confident and assertive in decisions right from the off. try not to show emotion, however smile when appropriate and have a laugh with others (when appropriate)

when you get a decision wrong (you will, youre human, nobody has a perfect game) you must forget about it as soon as you realise you made the mistake. don't take any abuse from anyone - players and coaches card them, don't be scared to, parents - get the managers to deal with it. remember, you have zero authority in the laws of the game over spectators.

i forgot to start my stopwatch on my first game, don't be like me. best of luck 🙂

Write on your match card the start time of each half. If your watch stops at least you know roughly what time you should finish.

As a newly qualified ref... my advice is read the wise words of the guys and girls on here as much as possible. I have yet to have many firsts but in the 3 games I had done a coach, and a player has been shown a red card. Confidence is key, sell your decisions even if you don't value them. Remind coaches that they are to conduct themselves in a responsible manner if they start getting on at you. Wishing you all the very best.

I would add give more fouls, if it looks like a foul give it, particularly defensive & half way line fouls. Keeps your match control which is vital when you don't have experience, if two teams can be physical.

Look confident, if anyone queries a decision, “sorry numbers 6, from my angle it was a foul” etc.

I would add give more fouls, if it looks like a foul give it, particularly defensive & half way line fouls. Keeps your match control which is vital when you don't have experience, if two teams can be physical.

Look confident, if anyone queries a decision, “sorry numbers 6, from my angle it was a foul” etc.

Learn terminology/law as well.

If I give a simple foul that maybe a couple of players pipe up unhappy, a quick "careless tackle, clipped his foot, just a foul lads" tends to do the trick more often than not.

Players will respect you a lot more for a little bit of talking, just to let them know how you've come to a decision.

Back