A&H

Referees are self-employed

Since 6/4/17, HMRC have introduced a £1000 allowance for "other income", which may be otherwise taxable. It was done to allow small eBay traders, but also covers your refereeing income. So £600 would be not taxable.
I have earned over a 1000 income. Just after my expenses are deducted 600. Not sure tax bracket affects that either.

The Referee Store
@JamesL - keep track of income and associated costs for your own personal reference, but not for anything more than that.

If HMRC decided to make a thing about referees, then referees could argue - in this gig economy world - that we should have basic employment rights from the leagues that we referee for (by the way, not a route I advocate in any way, but simply playing devils advocate). Part of those rights would be an expectation to earn the national minimum wage, which might mean...

Home to match: 30m
Inspection and warmup: 60m
Match: 105m
Post match activity: 30m
Match to home: 30m
Reports: 15m

Total time per match: 4.5 hours

NMW = £7.83/hour (at the eldest age group)

Minimum match fee = £35.23 + expenses.

Expenses. Lets say on average 10 miles each way = 20 miles at HMRC's 45p/mile = £9.00

So total charge per match = £44.23

Not sure many grassroots clubs would support that!

But - HMRC would have to target each referee individually, and I don't believe the cost/benefit would be there - the time and cost investigating each referee would far outweigh the additional tax they could raise. I think for the foreseeable future we're safe to continue as we are.

@JamesL - keep track of income and associated costs for your own personal reference, but not for anything more than that.

If HMRC decided to make a thing about referees, then referees could argue - in this gig economy world - that we should have basic employment rights from the leagues that we referee for (by the way, not a route I advocate in any way, but simply playing devils advocate). Part of those rights would be an expectation to earn the national minimum wage, which might mean...

Home to match: 30m
Inspection and warmup: 60m
Match: 105m
Post match activity: 30m
Match to home: 30m
Reports: 15m

Total time per match: 4.5 hours

NMW = £7.83/hour (at the eldest age group)

Minimum match fee = £35.23 + expenses.

Expenses. Lets say on average 10 miles each way = 20 miles at HMRC's 45p/mile = £9.00

So total charge per match = £44.23

Not sure many grassroots clubs would support that!

But - HMRC would have to target each referee individually, and I don't believe the cost/benefit would be there - the time and cost investigating each referee would far outweigh the additional tax they could raise. I think for the foreseeable future we're safe to continue as we are.
I think I might be too far in having registered for self assessment. I knoe before L5 it was unlikely I was making any profit. But at level 4 the match fees have increased considerably so I thought better start declaring. Going to look and see if there is anyway I can get out, i.e. what @lincs22 said and go from there.

I think I might be too far in having registered for self assessment. I knoe before L5 it was unlikely I was making any profit. But at level 4 the match fees have increased considerably so I thought better start declaring. Going to look and see if there is anyway I can get out, i.e. what @lincs22 said and go from there.
FYI for anyone that is interested - if your gross income is over 1000 then it should be declared. Mine is so I am right to declare it. Just need to look at my expenses properly and learn exactly what I can and can't claim for

Back