A&H

Referees Abroad

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Hi folks,

Been accepted to one of the Referees Abroad tournaments. Before I part ways with my much loved cash, I was wondering if anyone here has done it.

I am a Level 6 ref (hopefully be a 5 by then as awaiting it to go through!), but I am also over 30, so worried that I might be slightly antique in relation to others.

Wondering what other peoples' experiences are etc.

Looks like fun for many reasons, mostly the fact that Spain has sun!

TH

The Referee Store
You'll be wanting this thread from a couple of weeks ago: https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/refereeing-abroad.19406/
I'm going to Cascais. I went in 2019 and would have gone in 2020 but for the pandy, and 2021 but for injury. I also went the Barcelona edition in 2018. At least JamesL and others here have attended.

Good story here: the FIN on this list (new 2023 FIFA referees) went to Cascais 2013.

As in the other thread I am a fan. I know the founders a little and I think they do a great job. Big tournaments, lots of referees, challenging logistics, at the mercy of the tournament. It's not free for us to attend of course - but I figure it's "cheaper" than an extreme sports holiday - and 6 matches a day some days is extreme!

Most of the others will be in that 18-25 zone - but I am ahem double that - and they can catch me if they can! I found the vibe great. I got to know all kinds from all over the world. And challenging matches. High expectations from teams that have travelled a long way. Of course, the tournaments are all different - some more elite, some less.

Which tournament?

You'll be wanting this thread from a couple of weeks ago: https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/refereeing-abroad.19406/
I'm going to Cascais. I went in 2019 and would have gone in 2020 but for the pandy, and 2021 but for injury. I also went the Barcelona edition in 2018. At least JamesL and others here have attended.

Good story here: the FIN on this list (new 2023 FIFA referees) went to Cascais 2013.

As in the other thread I am a fan. I know the founders a little and I think they do a great job. Big tournaments, lots of referees, challenging logistics, at the mercy of the tournament. It's not free for us to attend of course - but I figure it's "cheaper" than an extreme sports holiday - and 6 matches a day some days is extreme!

Most of the others will be in that 18-25 zone - but I am ahem double that - and they can catch me if they can! I found the vibe great. I got to know all kinds from all over the world. And challenging matches. High expectations from teams that have travelled a long way. Of course, the tournaments are all different - some more elite, some less.

Which tournament?
I've never been 👀

I haven't been on one of their tournaments, but I know Daniele and Matt who run it and they are good guys. Most referees who have been only have good words to say, of course there are outliers who didn't have great experiences, but that is the case for any tournament or indeed any event.

I wouldn't worry about age, I know a guy in his 50s who goes to their tournaments.

I haven't been on one of their tournaments, but I know Daniele and Matt who run it and they are good guys. Most referees who have been only have good words to say, of course there are outliers who didn't have great experiences, but that is the case for any tournament or indeed any event.

I wouldn't worry about age, I know a guy in his 50s who goes to their tournaments.
Me too but I think he also just got his L4 aged around 53.

Think I’ll probably do it. Just need to look into cheap flights… if they exist anymore!!

Does anyone know where the cassias tournament is held specifically? We were told it’s from Cascias to Lisbon. They didn’t tell us a specific location. So we presume that the tournament is held in different locations and we have to use public transport to get there?

Does anyone know where the cassias tournament is held specifically? We were told it’s from Cascias to Lisbon. They didn’t tell us a specific location. So we presume that the tournament is held in different locations and we have to use public transport to get there?
It is held in similar locations to the Estoril version which takes place in early July. The locations are distributed around the Cascais and Estoril area, spreading into Carcavelos and other areas of western Lisbon.

Public transport is always used by referees at Referees Abroad tournaments. There will be a shuttle bus to take you to and from your accommodation from the airport. For the tournament duration, you are usually supplied with a train/bus ticket (bit like an Oyster card if you happen to live in London) which covers all forms of public transport. Occasionally you are sent to a location where public transport is not good or where you have a particularly early/late start or finish. In those cases, a minibus, coach or taxi will be arranged to get you to and from the venue. It is rare that you will be travelling alone as you will be working in a team and it's likely your team will be travelling from the same accommodation.

I've worked at tournaments in Paris, Madrid and Lisbon with Referees Abroad and the only time I had a problem with transport was when we stayed out a little too late after our involvement with the tournament ended. Getting a bus back to your hotel at 8am with a ranging hangover in 30 degree heat is not a pleasant experience.

Yes, what he said.
IIRC about 12 different venues. Some walkable, some bus and also there’s a seafront train.

I’m also waiting to hear if there’s going to be a hotel upgrade option - was well worth it for me (in 2019) and hope for same again.

Yes, what he said.
IIRC about 12 different venues. Some walkable, some bus and also there’s a seafront train.

I’m also waiting to hear if there’s going to be a hotel upgrade option - was well worth it for me (in 2019) and hope for same again.
Which one you doing?

My favourite tournaments so far are Dana Cup and Norway Cup they properly look after the referee. Even though your placed in a sports hall for both.

Back