A&H

Refereeing in Spain

MattTheRef

Level 4 Referee
Probably a long shot here - but I'm considering a career change, and a move away from the UK. How easy would it be to transfer as a L4 into the Spanish refereeing system?

Has anyone got any experience of this? Or the Spanish FA itself?

I'm not even sure where to start on this, or whether it's a goer currently. I'm just looking into potential options.

The Referee Store
Probably a long shot here - but I'm considering a career change, and a move away from the UK. How easy would it be to transfer as a L4 into the Spanish refereeing system?

Has anyone got any experience of this? Or the Spanish FA itself?

I'm not even sure where to start on this, or whether it's a goer currently. I'm just looking into potential options.
Where abouts in Spain? I know of a Gibraltarian referee who operated on the Gibraltarian premier league (maybe as an assistant - not sure) and then transferred to be a level 4 here, then got promoted to a 3 here before going back and operating on the premier league again (as a referee I believe - again not sure)

Where abouts in Spain? I know of a Gibraltarian referee who operated on the Gibraltarian premier league (maybe as an assistant - not sure) and then transferred to be a level 4 here, then got promoted to a 3 here before going back and operating on the premier league again (as a referee I believe - again not sure)
Currently Ibiza, which is obviously limiting, but that's not set in stone.

You could ping the Referee Abroad guys. They have a lot of contacts, especially with youth tournaments but also with various local/regional RDO types. They might have someone they know who could give you advice.

You could transfer in as a referee without having to qualify as a referee there, but I suspect L4 won't be high enough to get you elevated below their lowest levels. I know a Spanish referee who was operating in their 4th tier and he came into England as an L5, not sure there is anything formal, rather it is all assessed on merit.

Out of interest, do you speak Spanish? If not I could see that being a not inconsiderable challenge.

Back