A&H

Refereeing in different league

bmace3

Just wondered if it’s recommended to just stick to one or to ref in multiple? My Saturdays will be the same league but on Sundays there are about 4 different leagues in 3 CFA’s within about 15 miles. Is it better to stick to one or is it okay to have a go round a few local ones?

TIA.

The Referee Store
I ref in ten different leagues over two counties... no one's going to turn you away!

Pros and cons.

Stay with one league = get to know teams & players better, hopefully build up good reputation and then get trusted with higher divisions, better games and end of season finals. Admin is simpler

Multiple Leagues. = fresh challenge every week, opportunity for greater learning and development. Admin more complex.

Yeah, the main issue with signing up to multiple leagues is knowing what you're getting with each one. Where I lived previously this was particularly tricky on Saturdays because rather than signing up to different areas, I signed up to a "higher" oversubscribed league (changing rooms, respect ropes/marked tech areas, HT drinks and post-game food, paid mileage on top of the standard fee) and a "lower" grassroots league that was always desperate for refs but had none of the above perks.

If I made myself available to the "lower" league I could generally get D1 or Prem matches without too much fuss. Or, I made myself available to the "higher" league and I could get anything from D1 to D5 game, or sometimes nothing. And if I did get nothing and then went back to the "lower" league for a match, they would already have refs assigned to their top divisions and I'd often end up with their D5 games, which could often be fairly grim encounters.

It was also super-easy to accidentally clash matches, so make sure your admin is excellent before trying that!

Yeah, the main issue with signing up to multiple leagues is knowing what you're getting with each one. Where I lived previously this was particularly tricky on Saturdays because rather than signing up to different areas, I signed up to a "higher" oversubscribed league (changing rooms, respect ropes/marked tech areas, HT drinks and post-game food, paid mileage on top of the standard fee) and a "lower" grassroots league that was always desperate for refs but had none of the above perks.

If I made myself available to the "lower" league I could generally get D1 or Prem matches without too much fuss. Or, I made myself available to the "higher" league and I could get anything from D1 to D5 game, or sometimes nothing. And if I did get nothing and then went back to the "lower" league for a match, they would already have refs assigned to their top divisions and I'd often end up with their D5 games, which could often be fairly grim encounters.

It was also super-easy to accidentally clash matches, so make sure your admin is excellent before trying that!
On a Saturday there is only one league that I could ref in anyway realistically as a 7. A couple of higher leagues but out of my level currently.

Was just seeing about Sundays as experience, it’ll be tough as I work for the NHS so do shifts so won’t always have every weekend free. Which I think will probably affect my promotion efforts in the future to be fair. Just had a look at local league handbooks, the difference in match fees and travel is crazy for leagues so close together!

I have found trying a different league brings instant joy as you are unknown to the teams and upon your first dealings with them, you would be roundly regarded as the best ref ever, and so much better than the rubbish they usually get.

This new found praise quickly disappears usuallly by half time the second time you meet them.

I guess it boils down to what you want from your refereeing. I'm 'signed up' to Isthmian U18s/23s and did one or two games per week Sept - March at a public school - rest was/is based on volunteering as requests came up from County, other referees and the odd County Cup appointment- due to being lucky with illness/injury/weather I'm heading for my most prolific season since I started 20 years ago - if all the games in my diary happen and I can do them, I should get to 60 games for the season! :)

I guess it boils down to what you want from your refereeing. I'm 'signed up' to Isthmian U18s/23s and did one or two games per week Sept - March at a public school - rest was/is based on volunteering as requests came up from County, other referees and the odd County Cup appointment- due to being lucky with illness/injury/weather I'm heading for my most prolific season since I started 20 years ago - if all the games in my diary happen and I can do them, I should get to 60 games for the season! :)
That’s great. Never thought about the public schools, a few near me. I’m still in the early stages but I’m hoping to free some time up and have a good crack at it next year

That’s great. Never thought about the public schools, a few near me. I’m still in the early stages but I’m hoping to free some time up and have a good crack at it next year
Public Schools are generally good places to referee - usually very well behaved, decent facilities, decent standard, well organised, prompt payment - what's not to like? :p

I got my 'place' by sending them a random email about 5 years ago - now there are 3 or 4 of us who do it regularly. We have been invited to an End of Season dinner as a thank you!:)

On a Saturday there is only one league that I could ref in anyway realistically as a 7. A couple of higher leagues but out of my level currently.

Was just seeing about Sundays as experience, it’ll be tough as I work for the NHS so do shifts so won’t always have every weekend free. Which I think will probably affect my promotion efforts in the future to be fair. Just had a look at local league handbooks, the difference in match fees and travel is crazy for leagues so close together!
Don't forget you can do lines on 'higher' leagues as well.

Public Schools are generally good places to referee - usually very well behaved, decent facilities, decent standard, well organised, prompt payment - what's not to like? :p

I got my 'place' by sending them a random email about 5 years ago - now there are 3 or 4 of us who do it regularly. We have been invited to an End of Season dinner as a thank you!:)
I used to work at a public school so I have contacts! I’ll be sure to send an email and ask if they would require my services. I’ll send one to the ‘bigger’ schools too!

I used to work at a public school so I have contacts! I’ll be sure to send an email and ask if they would require my services. I’ll send one to the ‘bigger’ schools too!
Good idea, if you have the time, great places to referee.

Back