A&H

Refereeing has ruined football for me

SM

The avuncular one
Not really. But it has certainly changed it beyond all recognition.

I can no longer watch a game without paying attention to the referees movement. I can no longer cheer a goal, referees don't cheer when goals go in (bad habit to get into in case you do it during your own match) instead I am looking for possible infringements and again what the referee is doing. I now understand the power of bias in football and how it's impossible for 99% of people watching or involved in football to see beyond their own teams need to be awarded every decision.

Now i see my fave team awarded a penalty and I am thinking "that's not a pen, he dived". Ignorance of the rules of football is bliss. But no longer for me.

And there is no going back.

Damn you refereeing!! :D

The Referee Store
Agree 100%. I get frustrated when the camera angle moves and referee goes off screen I'm so focused on him.

Its a good thing really. Certainly helps positioning

Wait till you start assessing. It only gets worse!

I should have named this the referees lament.

I know what you mean about the tv angles. This is why is hate sky, always too close to the action, we need a wider angle, where is the ref!! Less hi tech football coverage with less cameras at the ground helps here, better and wider angles!! More referee!!!

@Ross - lol I can imagine.

I'll tell you how bad it has got. I was up the field this morning watching my 6 year old play for a local team. I was judging the dad recruited to referee the game!! Such poor whistle technique,terrible foul recognition, I could go on!

There is something wrong with me :D

(Note: there may be a huge dollop of not being serious in this post, but probably less than you would imagine!! Ha!)

I should have named this the referees lament.

I know what you mean about the tv angles. This is why is hate sky, always too close to the action, we need a wider angle, where is the ref!! Less hi tech football coverage with less cameras at the ground helps here, better and wider angles!! More referee!!!

@Ross - lol I can imagine.

Bad time to say I work for Sky? :/ been petitioning for 'ref cam' for a while now!

Reactions: SM
SM I feel your pain. I gave up my season ticket at LUFC 3 years into my refereeing career despite having had one for 22 years. I apologise to all the candidates on my new refs courses for spoiling football for them.

And as Ross says it only gets worse when you become an assessor. I can't watch any game without wondering what the team are saying to each other to make sure they pick up offences. I can't help thinking as soon as there's a contentious decision, where was the referee? what was his viewing angle? how could his AR have helped him?

AND what could they have done to improve on each of the above questions...

I'll tell you how bad it has got. I was up the field this morning watching my 6 year old play for a local team. I was judging the dad recruited to referee the game!! Such poor whistle technique,terrible foul recognition, I could go on!

There is something wrong with me :D

(Note: there may be a huge dollop of not being serious in this post, but probably less than you would imagine!! Ha!)
In Sheffield the teams get qualified refs to ref the U7's, I was offered £20 to do one, I couldn't understand it, when I was U7's we just had a dad same as your son's match, never had a problem, only minor dissent ;)

Dissent from a 7 year old? Lol I have never seen it, but that would be funny. Even the parents behave properly (bit too much over keen shouting at times mind but what can you do)

How would you respond to dissent from a 7 year old? Button it short stuff or I tell you the truth about Father Christmas! :D

Once you become a referee you will never watch a game in the same light again. Whether it is in the premier league or on the park on a Sunday morning, you will be constantly watching the referee. And if people around you know that you are a referee, they will soon be asking you about the decisions made by the referee.

100% agree. I can't play the game without questioning decisions and I can't watch it either

I can't watch a game now and be completely bias as I used to be, it has taken some of the fun out of football :-(

100% agree. I can't play the game without questioning decisions and I can't watch it either
ah young colt you must be an nsl asst . have seen your name on the fixture list you still play and question decisions ?can understand but bite you lip young man,
we all know the laws of the game but we on the whole interpret them differently ,ie I might think yeh red another ref may think borderline yellow and again someone may even say ah bollocking.

It comes full circle. Eventually, you'll end up appreciating it even more and on a more refined level because of refereeing.

ah young colt you must be an nsl asst . have seen your name on the fixture list you still play and question decisions ?can understand but bite you lip young man,
we all know the laws of the game but we on the whole interpret them differently ,ie I might think yeh red another ref may think borderline yellow and again someone may even say ah bollocking.

Had to stop playing football due to it but this was when i was younger:) Yeh joined the NSL end of last season and want to keep progressing, want to drop me a message with some advice? haha

Back