A&H

Referee Retention - Open Letter

In the old days, when referees were appointed to league instead of being pooled. Higher Grade referees could only referee on their league or at grassroots level. There is a true story of George Courtney not having a Football League match, so if he wanted a game he did a local leageu match in the Durham area. How about that an FIFA referee doing the Saturday kickers league!

That must have changed a long time ago, I frequently did supply league middles when they were short and I didn't have a contrib or panel game. Or when I was coming back from injury.

The Referee Store
That must have changed a long time ago, I frequently did supply league middles when they were short and I didn't have a contrib or panel game. Or when I was coming back from injury.
Definitely is different now. We have a PL Assistant referee. referee that picks up step 5/6 games

oh wow that's a hell of a trip! do you get any sort of supplement on top of the normal fee?
Normal match fee plus entitled to claim for boat trip at cheapest rate. If you need to get a taxi to the ground (it's about £5 each way) then you need to stomach it as part of your standard match fee (idea being fixed match fee includes travel costs and you're not burning your fuel to get there).

No observers based on the island, so if you're on a game there, guaranteed not to be watched.

Reactions: es1
Normal match fee plus entitled to claim for boat trip at cheapest rate. If you need to get a taxi to the ground (it's about £5 each way) then you need to stomach it as part of your standard match fee (idea being fixed match fee includes travel costs and you're not burning your fuel to get there).

No observers based on the island, so if you're on a game there, guaranteed not to be watched.
Probably the biggest PITA game to get for me in my supply league though would be at Portland. It's about a 145 mile round trip and a good 2 hour drive each way.

For the clubs on the 'other side' of the league catchment area it's around a 200 mile round trip for them and closer to 3 hours each way.

I've met a Young Ref with a severe speech impediment whose completing his 5 qualifying games before the call-back evening
Really encouraged to see him taking on the challenge despite his disability
I've arranged for him to Referee my son's game this weekend at a cost of £22. It will give me the opportunity to mentor him etc.
Guess what? My son's Club has refused to pay his fee because he wasn't appointed by the League. The League has less than a dozen referees to cover approx. 200 games. I'll pay his match fee out my own pocket. So much for encouraging these young folk into Refereeing
That's just stupid!

Last week I was down to do 2 County Cups back to back for a club. The night before their opponents in the first game pulled out, so they asked if I could cover a league game for them instead, at the usual league rate of course!

Clubs are always looking for refs for league games where they don't have an appointed one - first time I've heard of one refusing to pay!

Presume they will get a friendly and free Dad to do it instead?

After I qualified, my son's club always paid me if I refereed any of their games, including my son's side.

In our area we’ve got 1 Step 6 game this weekend covered by a 5-4 candidate and currently 4 Step 6 games next Saturday without an appointed referee.
Not sure how many have been nominated for mid season promotion to L4, but that will address some or all of the issue, depending on the delta between the number going to 3 and the number coming up to 4.

I've done TWL middles as a 5-4 and got one when I get back off holiday. I'm not up for mid season promotion so I'm assuming it's just a shortness of refs. I got assessed on my first TWL game.

I've done TWL middles as a 5-4 and got one when I get back off holiday. I'm not up for mid season promotion so I'm assuming it's just a shortness of refs. I got assessed on my first TWL game.
How you finding them, assume you're on the step 6 div 1 and not the step 5 premier, or are you getting Premier too?

How you finding them, assume you're on the step 6 div 1 and not the step 5 premier, or are you getting Premier too?

Yeah Div 1 so far. Premier lines. Enjoying it. Had a long standing football league AR on my first game which was great. Just going to have a go at 4 (had 2 very good observation marks so far so it's started well) and see where it takes me + meet a few people.

In the old days, when referees were appointed to league instead of being pooled. Higher Grade referees could only referee on their league or at grassroots level. There is a true story of George Courtney not having a Football League match, so if he wanted a game he did a local leageu match in the Durham area. How about that an FIFA referee doing the Saturday kickers league!
Championship referee on a FA Trophy game tomorrow, two Contrib sides.

Back