A&H

Referee assaults

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Didn't take long for them to start

I think the player needs more that mental health issues help - he should have a 7 year sit-down.

The Referee Store
Didn't take long for them to start

I think the player needs more that mental health issues help - he should have a 7 year sit-down.

Apparently the referee was told that the offender was a newly qualified teacher, which was why he was initially reticent to press charges as it would “destroy the guys career”

I note the two people involved are of a different race. In 2020 this is a racist attack.

Inroing that, the referee absolutely has to press charges. His career is EVEN MORE reason for him to be sacked!!

Thug

I note the two people involved are of a different race. In 2020 this is a racist attack.
No it isn't. Even the Daily Heil hasn't tried to conflate the attack and racism, despite unnecessarily highlighting the victim was Indian born.
Ignoring that,
Good idea because neither the aforementioned DH nor the victim have mentioned it.
the referee absolutely has to press charges. His career is EVEN MORE reason for him to be sacked!!
Agreed
Agreed

A referee speaking to the press after an assault is a really, really bad idea. I can see it affecting any FA charge against the player, but suspect it will make any successful criminal prosecution of him pretty much impossible.

My thoughts are with the referee, but I think he has been really badly advised here.

A referee speaking to the press after an assault is a really, really bad idea. I can see it affecting any FA charge against the player, but suspect it will make any successful criminal prosecution of him pretty much impossible.

My thoughts are with the referee, but I think he has been really badly advised here.

Why do you think that just out of interest?

I’m not having a dig at you but it seems based on your opinion the ref either keeps it quiet and the player gets banned/prosecuted OR it gets publicised so more people become aware of it in the mainstream media but not both. In fairness to the ref it was ref support who publicised it via twitter as he was asking for support. I guess the video followed on special media and then the press interview.

Why do you think that just out of interest?

I’m not having a dig at you but it seems based on your opinion the ref either keeps it quiet and the player gets banned/prosecuted OR it gets publicised so more people become aware of it in the mainstream media but not both. In fairness to the ref it was ref support who publicised it via twitter as he was asking for support. I guess the video followed on special media and then the press interview.

Because there is the concept of "subjudice" and that applies to football disciplinary cases and the law of the land. Football can probably work around it, but you will never see the alleged victim of a serious assault speak to the media before a potential trial, and that is because the police advise them not to as it could affect the chances of a verdict. The defendant could argue that information has been disclosed in the media that means he cannot receive a fair trial.

Because there is the concept of "subjudice" and that applies to football disciplinary cases and the law of the land. Football can probably work around it, but you will never see the alleged victim of a serious assault speak to the media before a potential trial, and that is because the police advise them not to as it could affect the chances of a verdict. The defendant could argue that information has been disclosed in the media that means he cannot receive a fair trial.

Interesting and makes perfect sense. Perhaps the ref genuinely didn’t know how to proceed and the story ran away from Itself. I hope it doesn’t compromise justice being served.

You only have to look at the replies to that clip on Twitter to see where the problem lies, half (possibly more) think it's funny or in someway the referees fault for not being 100% perfect all the time, it's equally sad and sickening that this type of occurrence doesn't surprise any body who officiates

These things ought to be publicised so as to not sit comfortably with the FA and their dubious stats
But the referee can't talk to the media. Simple as that
I note from the commentary from the referee's own admission, the player was wearing a bangle which caught the referee on the eye
Anyway, a phrase I use with players occasionally, 'actions have consequences'. Tough luck with the player's career

Back