A&H

Refchat Helped me - 1st game V 4th game

Sharris

Still Learning
After my 2nd game in the centre I posted on here about my positioning and how best to use the diagonal run and my positioning.

I have just completed my 4th game and I put into practice using the diagonal and getting myself into the best position to see the play. The game flowed a lot better and when ever something happened the players were surprised to see I was right on top of it.

Today’s game ended 0-11 to the away team and in all fairness I didn’t really have much to do as it was majorly one sided.

First Image - 1st Game - 2nd half

Second Image - 4th game - 2nd half11652267-B23A-479A-B8A9-185C712E260D.jpegE05E9330-C1C7-4054-A6F8-C50830524E5D.jpeg

The Referee Store
Right folks, keep it on topic or things will be deleted / edited / warned.

Sharris, that second image looks a lot better. The first game looks very much to me that you were doing what lots of new referees do, and that is chasing the play / ball. The 4th game looks much better, there's clear evidence of a patrol path but can also see that you aren't rigidly sticking to it and are willing to move off.

Not many trips to the penalty area, must of been a midfield battle? I’m was all for running triangles to cut the space and running requirements down! No training it just became my style I preferred, no Lino’s so all on me.

Right folks, keep it on topic or things will be deleted / edited / warned.

Sharris, that second image looks a lot better. The first game looks very much to me that you were doing what lots of new referees do, and that is chasing the play / ball. The 4th game looks much better, there's clear evidence of a patrol path but can also see that you aren't rigidly sticking to it and are willing to move off.

In the first game I was a headless chicken running around after the ball but found myself often getting in the way.

I’ll keep tracking my games and see how it looks over the next few games.

Question.... should I be tracking wider and punching into the penalty area??

Not many trips to the penalty area, must of been a midfield battle? I’m was all for running triangles to cut the space and running requirements down! No training it just became my style I preferred, no Lino’s so all on me.

It was all one sided 0-11 to the away team and the Home side couldn’t provide an club AR so it was down to me to get inline, thankfully the home side didn’t protest when I blew for offside.

I only push twice into the penalty area.

1. To check on a defender that had gone down with a slight knock.

2. When I thought a player that had been having no luck during the game looked slightly more aggressive in his movements, I wanted to be right on top on play.

In the first game I was a headless chicken running around after the ball but found myself often getting in the way.

I’ll keep tracking my games and see how it looks over the next few games.

Question.... should I be tracking wider and punching into the penalty area??

These days you only need to go wide if the play dictates it. An example might be a player shielding the ball in the corner to the top left of your diagonal, if that happens you want to be getting out there in case it kicks off.

Observers like to see referees "penetrating the penalty area", but make sure you go in wide and not in the central area otherwise you risk getting in the way.

A couple of years ago the PGMO were advising that the penalty area was no go zone. Always thought that advice was nonsense.
Clattenburg sweeps wide that’ll do for me.

I had my 7th game on Saturday & my best yet, had many players approach me after game to praise me plus both managers, in the 90mins I had one player moan, it was fantastic & I felt great.

But my positioning was diabolical, I was in the way a couple of times I was off the pitch a couple of times, I was in the right place at the right time but generally my positioning was bad, if I’d been observed I would have got hammered.

This whole diagonal approach I’ve had many tell me about it & heard all about it on here, PLEASE GOD ABOVE can someone on here please explain it to me in simple man terms?

Thank you.

This whole diagonal approach I’ve had many tell me about it & heard all about it on here, PLEASE GOD ABOVE can someone on here please explain it to me in simple man terms?
Eh from one corner of the pitch to the other? :smoke::p:p

On a more serious note it means exactly that. But the idea comes from a principle that when working with assistants you try to squeeze play between you and the lead assistant to cover different areas of the pitch so in theory your movement across the pitch will be from one corner flag to the other

Don’t get it Nalbi, I’ll have to get someone to show me on a pitch, I understand what the word diagonal means and I get what u say about keeping play between me and the Lino on the diagonal but i have no clue what u do when the ball is booted 100yrds upfield and then 50yrds accross field I mean I just don’t get what your supposed to do & where your supposed to run.

Back