A&H

Ref vs. NAR

N

NorthRef95

I saw an interesting incident at a game a few weeks ago:

Player is injured, receives treatment and is asked to go off by the referee. The game then restarts and injured player returns WITHOUT being told by referee. At the next stoppage, which was almost straight away as it happened, player is booked for entering FOP without permission.

Player protests saying NAR said he could return (later found out this was the case). Referee tells him the card stands.

Think its fair to say neither the referee or player were impressed by this

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
It's the refs call, not the NAR. A word at full time in coming for the NAR at least.

Presented in that situation I would be going over and asking my NAR, and if he confirms that then I'd be retracting the caution.

But, in any event... silly NAR.

Personally I would be having a word with the NAR at half/full time to make sure it didn't happen again. I saw the ref a few days ago and he said that's exactly what he did.

Don't suppose that NAR will be doing that again in a hurry!!

I've never done this, but thinking about this situation and the fact that the player does not have to be off for a specified amount of time, would it be silly, in your pre-match instructions, to tell the NARs that the should let the player on. That way when a player is off you can watch the ball rather than constantly looking round to see if they're ready, and it avoids situations like this.

I've never done this, but thinking about this situation and the fact that the player does not have to be off for a specified amount of time, would it be silly, in your pre-match instructions, to tell the NARs that the should let the player on. That way when a player is off you can watch the ball rather than constantly looking round to see if they're ready, and it avoids situations like this.
A couple of big issues with this though. Firstly, it's not in the powers of the assistant to do so. It's down the the referee. Secondly, and more importantly for me, this isn't a difficult area to get right but if it goes wrong - e.g. Player is allowed back on and gets involved in play straight away - then it will cause merry hell for you as the referee.

For me, keep things simple.

Also as assistant you have enough to worry about with watching play and the offside line without worrying about players off the pitch!

Also as assistant you have enough to worry about with watching play and the offside line without worrying about players off the pitch!

But you could tell the managers and captains to speak to the AR - it's a lot easier for them to tell the AR than for the referee to look round and see the physio waving.

The referee and only the referee should allow a player to return and he should do so with a large waving-on gesture such that everyone knows he's given the player the go-ahead to come on.

The referee and only the referee should allow a player to return and he should do so with a large waving-on gesture such that everyone knows he's given the player the go-ahead to come on.
Does it say in the law that the AR cannot authorise it even if he has been instructed to do so by the referee?

gentlemen gentlemen please please surely having NAR this should have been covered in the pre match brief, and for me caution stands and a bollocking for the NAR at half or full time your there to assist

i hope that nobody on here would seriously give the NAR a 'bollocking'. it's a hobby for most and most if not all will carry out their responsibilities to the best of their ability. so they made a mistake. have a chat about it and move on.

I would give an NAR a bollocking he really screwed me over. "Pay attention and do it right, or don't take games."

pretty crap man-management though, you have to admit

and why on earth do you imagine that anyone would try to screw you over - is the race to the top really that desperate in new brunswick

Hawain
Sorry mate but if my NAR didn't follow my pre match instructions I for one would bollock him. Think of it this way if you wanted a good assessment mark and you had specifically told you asst to do a and he does b your mark will be affected if its a hobby stick to kids games. ........

No need to apologise, mm, you're entitled to your opinion that a bollocking is acceptable, i'm entitled to mine that it is poor man management.

we're both referees so we're both right

Back